We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

We've come to the Rockies for each of the past couple of years in late June. We've always had a great time, and plan to return again this year. However, due to frequent rain and snow at higher elevations, we'd like to try visiting in late summer.

I'm struggling to decide on a particular date. I've heard the crowds can get busy in summer, and so I'd like to travel when they start to thin out. However, I don't want to wait so long that we run into problems with the days getting short and the weather getting bad at higher elevations. We'd like to do some of the other popular hikes in the LL area that we haven't done yet, especially Fairview Mountain. Ideally, we'd like to get to the top of Fairview and find it free of both snow and crowds.

If we plan to arrive around Sep 3, which is just after Labour Day, will the crowds be mostly gone by then, or do things still stay busy at that point? If we delayed another week, will it be noticeably less busy?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

I think that right after Labour Day will give you your best chance at balancing diminished crowds with good weather. One week later won't make much difference in terms of visitor numbers, and increases your risk of early "wintery" weather.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

Thanks! I'll see what I can put together for the first week of Sept.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

I have hiked in the mountains here around the 15th of Sept and been in snow. Still great hikes but a bit slippery so be prepared it will be cool at the top.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

I'm OK with it being a bit cool, in fact, I prefer hiking in cooler temps to hot temps--I can always add a layer of clothing. I'm also fine with a bit of snow. I'm just not a fan of walking through deep snow, particularly when it's piled up on the switchbacks up a steep slope.

My flights are all booked. I've got a suite reserved at the Chateau Lake Louise for Sept 2 - 6, so now I just have to hope for good weather on at least a couple of those days. If all goes well, I'd like to be able to complete Fairview plus perhaps one of Devil's Thumb, Sentinel Pass or St. Piran. As a backup plan, we've got 4 additional nights booked at the Banff Springs, so I could always drive up from Banff to complete the hikes if weather is a problem.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 19:28
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

Have a great week you should get in some great hikes.

6. Re: Visiting Rockies in Late Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20