We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Why isnt there a Tripadvisor restaurant listing here for ths area???

So please send your restaurant reccomendations for: Best fancy, Best game/authentic Candadian for trout, caribou etc., Best inexpensive for lunch or picnic sandwiches, best breakfast, most popular most famous off beaten path. Please include why and what dish was exceptional in your memory! Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Check out the restaurant info on the Inside Pages for Banff (tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-s1/Banff:Albe…) and Lake Louise (tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g154912-Lake_Louise_…).

For game and Canadian cuisine, I have heard that Buffalo Mountain Lodge's restaurant is the absolute best. If you have any questions after reading the Inside Pages on dining, please drop another line.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

We've covered the inexpensive restaurants in the "Cheap Eats" inside page for Banff.

Best breakfast? I love breakfast at the Coyote Deli on Caribou Street in Banff. I believe that Lake Louise locals enjoy the Laggan Bakery in the Samson Mall in Lake Louise.

Most famous? The restaurant at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise. Expensive but fabulous.

Off the beaten path? Baker Creek Chalets -- wonderful food in a beautiful setting on the Bow Valley Parkway (1A) between Banff and Lake Louise.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Best breakfast: Buffet at the Poppy at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. They have every breakfast food you could imagine and the spectacular fresh fruit. $25 per person. Or if you are a guest, it might be part of your package.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

any other suggestions??

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

In addition to the places that already have been mentioned, I am partial to the restaurant at Deer Lodge. I have found it to be good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The elk tenderloin is wonderful.

Although I have never eaten there, I have heard stories about the Truffle Pig in the nearby hamlet of Field, British Columbia. Apparently it is a little hole-in-the-wall, and it has a loyal following. I guess it would qualify for the "off the beaten path" category.

Perhaps it's equally important to mention restaurants that are best avoided. The cafeteria at the Columbia Icefields is underwhelming, and the restaurant at Saskatchewan Crossing is nothing to write home about either. Both of those places are on the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93), the road that connects Lake Louise and Jasper.

A picnic lunch (possibly purchased from Laggan's Bakery and Deli in Lake Louise village) is a potential solution for travel along the Icefields Parkway.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Yes, I have to agree with Judy in Calgary. The Saskatchewan Crossing is nothing but a tourist trap and bad at that. However, if you are a people watcher and just want to take a break from driving it is a great place to do that. Do not eat there; you will be very disappointed.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

We are back and had some fabulous food experiences:

1. The Grizzly House Restaurant-Banff

http://www.banffgrizzlyhouse.com/contact.htm

Fondue restaurant. Very unique very fun! 70's music, remember "Convoy"? Every table has a phone and map of tables so you can call your fellow diners!

2. Truffled Pigs-Field BC

http://www.trufflepigs.com/

Gourmet food in a funky general store in Yoho National Park. Canadian Pacific Rail come right by too. See it on the way to Emerald Lake, Tak Falls, and the spiral train tunnels. Amazing food you wouldnt expect when you see this place!

3. Post Hotel-Lake Louise

Post Hotel, Calgary, Alberta

Wow! What a wine list. Wines from every country imaginable. Dishes are the best anywhere, very European ambiance, food display is sheer artwork ! This is probably the nicest, fanciest restaurant in Alberta if not Canada. Here its expensive but you are getting what you pay for!

4. Baker Creek Chalets- Lake Louise

http://www.bakercreek.com/

Excellent food in a relaxing sweater and jeans atmosphere. Great service. A qoute from their website:

Join Chef John Udell, partner Elaine Taylor, and the rest of their

team as they strive to captivate and delight each of their guests

with âCanadian Comfort Cuisineâ presented in the simple

beauty of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Influences from Italian and French cooking, put it all together with a no-nonsense attitude

at the Baker Creek Bistro.

5. Moraine Lake Lodge

http://www.morainelake.com/

Great food with the most amazing setting by the lake! Probably my favorite lake.

6. Lake Louise Railway Station-Lake Louise

http://www.lakelouisestation.com/

Lake Louise Station Restaurant is a 1909 restored Train Station. Loved the original hardwood floors, leaded glass windows and fireplace. Dinner service in both the Station building itself, and in Vintage Dining Cars as well. The Station offers a full range on the dinner menu from casual fare like a great homemade burger right up to items like salmon and beef tenderloin. The Dining Cars are open during peak season, and offer a unique dining experience with a higher end menu.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Great post....thanks for coming back to give us the scoop on your trip! Sounds like you had some great meals!

New Brunswick
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

Try the Cozy Cave Bakery / Cafe in Banff. A little treasure we found off the beaten path (Industrial Compound). We found it in the Yellow pages!

WE did a grab and go lunch for skiing and went back the next day for the best tomato soup and cinnamon roll ever. My partner had the lasagna and said it was the best lasagna he has ever had!

When we were there the owner was decorating some cakes and that was neat to see as they were really creative. We were lucky enough to sample some too!

Quirky and interesting couple that run it and fun to chat with. Got a ton of local info on places to go and see too.

England
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Lake Louis Banff Area

I agree that the Poppy Brasserie buffet at Chateau Lake Louise is great - so much choice & all the food is delicious! The pancakes & waffles especially, lol.

In Banff, we like 'Wild Bills' - steaks, burgers, that sort of thing. Good atmosphere, cheap, nice food. Depends what you're looking for but if you're looking for a good cheap meal, I'd recommend there.

The Tom Wilson Steakhouse at Chateau Lake Louise served the best steak I've ever tastd, & they also had a little tapas (I think thats what they called it) starter thing in with the price. 8 small dishes of various foods with naan breads. The steak was $38 plus tax, but when you factor in the starter too which was free, it's extremely good value.

Wouldn't recommend The Keg steakhouse in Banff as we found the food to be really bad.