We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 16:41
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

The Pof6 hike doesn't take much longer than the Lake Agnes hike. You're looking at about 3-4 hours for either of them, plus whatever amount of time you decide to stop for rests, lunch, photos, etc. To combine them would be about 5-6 hours, or basically a full day once you factor in your breaks along the way.

I'm not sure it matters which one you do first. Personally, I like to start with Lake Agnes, only because I like to get the climb through the trees out of the way first, and then finish the hike with the nice views all the way in.

There are lots of places to rest and catch your breath along the way.

The trails are easy to follow, and there is a sign at the junction points. They are also fairly busy trails, so there will be other people around if you get confused trying to follow your maps.

2. Re: Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

Pathetic big beehive? Autocorrect. I hope?

The Big Beehive is quite spectacular - there's a little gazebo up top which a great location for photos with the lake & Chateau in the background. And some nice scrambles around the summit, though use common sense - people have gotten themselves into trouble.

You should have no problem doing the whole loop - there are multiple ways to do the loop, and it's easy to do in less than a day. From the Big Beehive, you can go down to the Highline trail which is the upper traverse across to the Plains of SIx Glaciers. You can then go back along the lakeshore trail. I like the HIghLine trail as there are some great views of the far end of the lake, and you avoid some of the tourist rush on the main trail.

The maps are available online and for free at the Parks Canada Centre in "the mall". Plus all the trail intersections are well marked. Worse case scenario, you do a little bit of backtracking or an extra bit of mileage.

I think it's fun to get up early - start hiking up to Lake Agnes around 8am so you can get there as it opens. You'll beat the rush and get fresh tea & baked goods to start your day. Then spend time exploring the area, before heading to the Beehive and out to Plain of Six Glaciers. I don't find the menu at the latter teahouse to be so unique, so prefer to bring my own lunch and sit on the benches in front.

4. Re: Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

5. Re: Lake Agnes Teahouse & Big Beehive/Plain of Six Glaciers/Both

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17