We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free wifi in Lake Louise

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Free wifi in Lake Louise

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is somewhere in Lake Louise with free public wifi? We'll be staying at the LL campgrounds and we'd like to be able to contact family once a day and to file hiking plans via email. In the past in other locations, we've been able to access wifi at McDonalds or coffee shops.

(Searching the forums, I noticed that someone asked a similar question in January, but with the pace of technology, I thought perhaps the answer may have changed since then.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,423 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,915 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

the youth hostel at LK Louise has free wifi but you need to ask for the password. If you go to Lk Louise Inn they have a business center with a computer which charges a small amt. they do have free internet but you need to ask for the password. Those are the only places I know of.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

Thanks so much! Does anyone happen to know if there is there a pay phone in Lake Louise? In that case, perhaps i could go with the lower tech option of a prepaid landline calling card. Any one have any idea where one of those could be purchased these days? I'll be driving in from Calgary and could stop anywhere along the route--Canadian Tire, etc--just not from Canada so I don't know where to purchase.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,423 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

I believe that an earlier thread said that the Lake Louise Visitor Info Centre has free wifi. The centre is in the middle of the village -- very easy to find. If they don't have free wifi, they'll be able to tell you who does.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,423 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

Banff, Just put a call in to LL Visitor Info Centre and they're closed but we'll try there tomorrow. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,915 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

its easy to get a prepaid phone card before you leave home. I get one online for about $5. The advantage is you can compare rates, daily or weekly charges before you buy. When you buy at a convenience store you have to read all the fine print or else they may not be such a good deal. Any 7-11 has a good assortment.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

The ParksCanada Center would almost certainly have free WiFi. It's standard in their centres. There is WiFi at the LL HI Hostel, but you must be staying there to get the password. It's also been VERY unreliable every time I've been there in the past year, so I wouldn't depend on it even as a guest.

I have not seen free WiFi anywhere else - don't think there's any in Laggan's, not sure about the other cafe. WiFi at the Chateau Lake Louise is only free for their own Fairmont President's Club members. I remember picking up a signal while eating at one of the hotels - perhaps the Post Hotel? However, it may have required a password at some point.

Don't know about a pay phone - probably not since there's no residential area and upkeep, especially in the winter, would be a challenge. (There are payphones along the Icefields Highway). And you may want to have a cell phone plan with some data as a back up for e-mail. Lake Louise is a bit further from the town sites, so when things go wrong with phone and/or internet, it can sometimes take a bit longer to get sorted out.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,423 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Post Hotel & Spa
Post Hotel & Spa
1,031 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

There are 2 payphones at the Petrocan station on Village Road.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,800 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

It's been awhile since I was at the Lake Louise "mall", but I assumed someone there must offer free wifi, because several times when I was there, I say people sitting outside with laptops who appeared to be making skype calls (at the other end of the building where Laggan's is, between the two buildings). So you can check there too.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,423 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

Maybe, but people may also be using the pay per minute or Shaw hotspots, which are frequently offered rather than free WiFI.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free wifi in Lake Louise

Thanks, everyone. What's a Shaw hotspot?