We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks/Groceries in Banff area

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Hi, We will be flying from the U.S. to Calgary at the end of August and going to Lake Louise, then Jasper, and ending up in Banff. I understand that Lake Louise has a small grocery store and no banks, just an ATM. We will be staying in cabins and want to get just a few items to make breakfast and lunch. Is it that much cheaper to hit one of the grocery stores in Canmore or Banff on our way or just go to the Lake Louise market? Also, should I get cash at home and then exchange it at a bank in Canmore/Banff or just get Canadian money from an ATM at the airport?

calgary
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

I would stop at a grocery store in Canmore as the prices will be much more reasonable than the small store at Lake Louise; plus you will have more to choose from. Easier to use an ATM at either the airport or a bank along the way. You can most likely use your ATM card to buy the groceries too.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Thanks!

Calgary
Level Contributor
976 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Shop hard in Calgary or Canmore.

My experience with food stores in Banff and Jasper this year was ....um mmmm.....underwhelming.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Definitely shop in Calgary, Canmore or Banff rather than Lake Louise. Here in Jasper, there are two medium-sized grocery stores... yes, they pale in comparison to bigger stores in cities, but they'll have everything you need.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Echoing what others have said, you'll probably do better by stocking up on groceries in Calgary or Jasper on your way. The shops in Lake Louise are great, but they don't have the selection you're used to in a big city.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

The small Lake Louise market has most everything you would need in a pinch, but is very expensive and has a limited selection of items, especially fruit and veggies. Calgary is your best bet, I would stock up on as much as you can there. Canmore has two large grocery stores, but I still find the prices more than what I can find items for in Calgary.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

I"ll be flying on the 14th and planning to do shopping in Walmart near Calgary airport, is this Walmart a Supercenter? Do they sell produce?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

Is this the one you mean? http://www.walmart.ca/en/store/3012 (found with google) There is a "contact us" form at the bottom of the page if your questions are not answered.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

It's this one walmart.ca/en/…3013. It 's near the airport. :)

10. Re: Banks/Groceries in Banff area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16