We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography questions

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Photography questions

I'll be staying in Lake Louise for a week next summer. What are the most photogenic spots in the area (Moraine Lake, Maligne Lake, etc.) , lookout points etc?. In general, would you recommend early morning or late afternoon for the the best shots. I know about the crowds during the middle of the day. Any other hints for taking best photos. I'm anxious to see this beautiful part of the world. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography questions

If at all possible, I suggest starting to take pictures at sunrise. There are several reasons for this:

- This is the time when you'll have the fewest number of people around (tourists find it easier to stay up late than to get up early).

- You'll have the best chance for seeing wildlife.

- Saturated light at sunrise will be awesome! And it gets warmer, not colder, as you go along.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography questions

In addition to taking Country_Wife's good advice, you also might want to take a look at the TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Banff National Park : Scenic Views:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c14133/Banff-…

The views that are listed are not confined to Banff National Park. The list includes scenic lookout points in Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay National Parks (which are contiguous with Banff National Park) and in Kananaskis Country, which is to the southeast of Banff.

I agree with Country_Wife that early morning is an excellent time for photography. Another thing about early mornings and evenings is that that those are the times when lake water is most likely to be still. You sometimes get reflections that are so perfect that you don't know which end of your photo is the right way up.

There are a couple of places that I can think of that lend themselves to being photographed later in the day.

One is the view of Spirit Island (which you access by taking a cruise across Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park). Because you face eastwards, it's better to have the sun behind you in the west. I don't know whether or not you've decided to include Jasper in your itinerary, so I don't know if this is relevant to you.

The other spot, which is relevant to you, is when you're positioned just west of Banff townsite and look eastwards towards Mount Rundle. The rock of which that mountain is composed glows beautifully in the setting sun.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography questions

You may want to invest in a polarizing filter to get those midday shots with the deeply saturated blue sky and bright white clouds.

Early morning or late afternoon will depend entirely on where you are shooting. In some places, the mountain walls are facing west (like the Mount Rundle example that Judy provided) so you will want to shoot in late afternoon. Other mountains face east (eg Mount Norquay the east face of Tunnel) so you will want to shoot them in the morning.

I'd say the most concentrated clump of remarkable views (that are not yet cliches) is found on the Icefields Parkway (the highway between Lake Louise and Jasper). To maximize your photographic opportunities, you have to travel it in both directions, as the scenery looks very different when you're travelling north and when you're travelling south.

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography questions

Thanks to all for responding. Can you tell me what your favorite, can't miss scenic photo ops are along the Icelands Parkway? Is it possible to make it up to Maligne Lake/Spirit Island from Lake Louise in one day along with all the stops? Are there lookout stops for photos along the Parkway or does it involve driving inland a ways? We will be staying at the Paradise Bungalows for a week.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography questions

Hi again:

I think it would be a shame to drive all the way to Maligne Lake and back in a day -- I suppose it could technically be done, but there is so much to see and do in between. Stay overnight in Jasper, would be my advice.

Yes, there are many pullouts on the Parkway from which to shoot pictures.

Favourite photo ops? Here are just a few ...Definitely Bow Lake with Numtijah Lodge. Peyto Lake from the viewpoint -- and the meadows you walk through to get there. Waterfowl Lakes with Mt Chephren. The cliffs of Mt Wilson. The views off the "Big Hill" south of the Columbia Icefield. Looking east into Nigel Pass. Getting away from your car and walking up Parker Ridge for the most fabulous shots of the Saskatchewan Glacier. Going on a guided Icewalk on the Athabasca Glacier to shoot inky blue crevasses. The Stutfield Glacier viewpoint. Looking back south toward the icefield area from the Beauty Creek youth hostel. Athabasca Falls. The amazing colour of Horseshoe Lake. Everything around the Valley of Five Lakes trail. The inevitable elk at the north end of the Icefields Parkway. The view of Mts Brussels and Christie when you start back south.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography questions

Not necessarily the most scenic, but from Athabasca Glacier looking north you will see a mountain range that is a 'tri-continental' divide of which I have a picture in my scrapbook. Water from that ridge goes to the Atlantic, Pacific and Artic. I can't remember whether it is the only 'tri' in the world...maybe one of two or three. Not often you get a chance to take a pic of something that rare. :-)

And not to be missed is Lake Louise in the morning!

7. Re: Photography questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 07:20