We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day enough?? Cal-jas-cal

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
3 posts
Save Topic
6 day enough?? Cal-jas-cal

hi, ive 6 or 7 days around calgary.I'd like to rent a car & drive to Banff then Jasper. Would you recommend any where to stay in Banff or Jasp? Is there any way of returning to Cal without retracing ones steps? I'm used to Irish roads, is it likely that there will be forzen roads 1st-7th of April?

Are there any other 'must sees' in the area?

I fly from Vanc on the 12th is the drive Cal to VC worth it? or would you reccomend flying, i've had mixed opinions.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day enough?? Cal-jas-cal

Vivienn_07,

To answer your questions in reverse order: I DO NOT recommend driving from Calgary to Vancouver in the winter. In this part of Canada, early April is winter in the mountains, and mountain driving can be quite intimidating for some in the summertime.

Six days is barely enough time to do justice to Banff and Jasper. Although the Calgary and Edmonton area have many fine attractions, a first-time visitor would do well to focus on the mountains.

The roads that you take will be well-maintained, but in Alberta in April, there is always a chance of a heavy snowfall. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't drive, but rather that you should drive prudently. Read Inside Canada: Winter Driving for a basic run-down on what to expect:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day enough?? Cal-jas-cal

Early April is definitely still winter at higher elevations in the Canadian Rockies, so yes, you should be prepared for winter driving conditions along the Icefield Parkway (from Lake Louise to Jasper). At Bow Summit and the Columbia Icefield, the snowbanks at the edge of the highway will be over the top of your car, however, unless there has been recent snowfall, the road surface will hopefully be bare and dry.

You could drive back to Calgary from Jasper by going east to Edmonton and then to Calgary, but that is a longer - and very boring - drive. The Icefield Parkway is incredibly beautiful, rated as one of the most scenic drives in the world (even after 25 years of living here I am not yet tired of it) and you get all different views when you drive it in the other direction, so I recommend that you retrace your steps that way.

The drive from Calgary to Vancouver is also very beautiful, but again, because it is up and down over mountain passes, conditions may not be optimal in April. Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is about a ten to twelve hour drive... in summer conditions.

If you search the British Columbia and Alberta forums for "winter driving" and "Icefields Parkway", you should be able to read recent discussions on this topic - there has been a lot of questions about it lately.

3. Re: 6 day enough?? Cal-jas-cal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 11:21