We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Alaska

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Alaska

Can anyone help with some information on options on how to get to Alaska from Calgary? Cheapest options if possible!!

Best places to visit on a 3 day time frame?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Alaska

With only 3 days, you will have to fly. Easy enough to catch flights, though, I just did a quick search at work (I am a travel agent) and found that from calgary, on commercial air (not charters) you will either have to stop in Vancouver or Seattle (alaska Airlines). There were also flights that, for some reason, connected through Salt Lake city or Los Angeles :)

I searched mid june, and availability was wide open

If you had more time, I would suggest a cruise from Vancouver or Seattle... but it can get expensive, and you need at least a week for that.

As for what to see.... I assume you are going to use Anchorage as your jumping off point. From Anchorage, there are a multitude of tour options. If you let me know what you are looking for in terms of sights (wildlife, nature, or history) I can find more info

Enjoy the trip.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Alaska

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the Info! We are more interested in the wildlife side of things especially Wolves and Polar bears my partner loves them, so if you know the best place to see them that would be great! Does not have to be a main stream tourist dest can be remote villages just as long as there are guides of some sort available. Also do you know when and where the Speedways operate?we will be working at Lake Louise mountain resort from may til oct so if you think of anything worth checking out that would be fantastic!

Thanks agian.

Emilia

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Alaska

I will check into the remote tours in Alaska for you. Denali is pretty good for wildlife, and there are multiple choices for accommodations while you are there (if you want to make it easy)... however they can become a bit of a smack to the wallet. Other mainstream options include Mt.Mckinley (which you can do FROM Denali), or Kenai

As for what to do while in Lake Louise... the regular tourist traps are, of course, going to be your first stop... but listen to the locals, and those you work with... they will find you a lot of places/things that tourists would never figure out. (pretty sad really... I am 2 hours away, and have not been up there in more than 5 years)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Alaska

Thanks so much for your help. We have noted all that you have said!

we are really looking forward to getting over there. We leave in a few weeks. Off to Egypt first, then Poland for Easter, then we are doing a tour around Eastern Europe before heading to Canada. Cant wait. we have lots of info and will definitely be checking it out when we get over there.

Thanks again!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Alaska

the easiest site to navigate that I found was www.alaskatravel.com

check it out

6. Re: Travel to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 21:17