We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to calgarry in July.

Dublin Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to calgarry in July.

Hi,

I am travelling from Ireland in July to attend a conference in the Telus convention centre. The three hotels adjoining the centre are fully booked and i have a choice between the delta Bow Valley, or the Sheraton Eau Claire.

I believe the Delta Bow is closer but the amenities in the sheraton look exceptional. I will be travelling with a group of twelve some of whom are elderly. Can anyone advise if the convention centre is within walking distance of the sheraton or if there is a hotel of similar quality nearer the centre.

Regards

Sean H

Mentioned in this post
TELUS Convention Centre
TELUS Convention Centre
18 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

For elderly people, the Sheraton Suites would not be considered within walking distance; the Delta Bow would be a much better choice. One more advantange to the Delta Bow is that it is connected to the Convenciont Centre directly by the Plus-15 system, so that in inclement weather there is no need to go outdoors at all. Just use the glass-enclosed pedestrian bridges.

One factor you can consider in your plans: Calgary's C-Train (an electric above-ground train) is free and fast along 7th Avenue in the downtown core (outside of rush hour; during rush hour, it's pretty crowded but still fast). So if your conference starts at 9 a.m., what you could do is look for a hotel within a few blocks of 7th Ave S, and then you can walk to 7th Ave, catch a C-Train, and get off at the stop right next to the convention centre. The Westin, Ramada, and Sandman (downtown location) are all close to the C-Train route, but I don't think you will find that they are as good as the other hotels which you have already listed.

Finally, I should note that the downtown Sheraton is within 6 blocks of the C-Train, and all of that distance can be covered within the Plus-15 network of pedestrian bridges.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

The Westin is a little closer than Sheraton Eau Claire Suites. I think the quality of the Westin is in between that of Sheraton Eau Claire and Delta Bow Valley.

If people's mobility is an issue, the Delta is the closest of the lot.

All of them -- even the Delta Bow Valley -- are perfectly, nice, adequate hotels.

If your travel companions' mobility levels can tolerate the slightly greater distance to and from the Sheraton, your group would be rewarded with proximity to the pleasantly shaded walking trail along the shores of the Bow River.

In addition to that, you'll be able to access the park on Prince's Island via the foot bridge and dine at River Cafe. It affects a rustic appearance, but is an excellent (if expensive) restaurant, set in the lovely park.

If you stay at Delta Bow Valley, you'll be close to Calgary's small Chinatown, which has some good, moderately priced restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Bow River
Bow River
561 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Prince's Island Park
Prince's Island Park
1,073 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

Oops, didn't see you there Country_Wife. :-)

That was good info.

By the way, SeanH, if you have not yet discovered the Inside Calgary section of TripAdvisor's website, it has a lot of practical information:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

I hope you and your travel companions will manage to get up to Lake Louise and Banff, even if only for a day.

For people who are short of time, the Inside Banff National Park : Itineraries page has a suggested 1-day itinerary from Calgary to the mountains and back:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c14636/Banff-…

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

No prob, Judy. :-)

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

Hello SeanH,

Although Delta is closer to the TELUS Convention Centre (only 4 city blocks) and is accessible via indoor walkway, the walkway is not the most direct route.

Delta is undergoing some major renovations that should be complete by July. It's going to be a great looking hotel when everything is done.

Sheraton Eau Claire is a fantastic hotel with tremendous service and is in a beautiful location (especially in July) due to its proximity to the market and the Prince's Island Park.

If several members of your group have mobility issues, I would recommend relying on the help of the concierge at any of the hotels you select. Get the convention centre staff to help you out too as they have a help desk located in their North Building. They can secure cabs for you to ensure that you can get to your destinations. As the hotels you've listed (and other ones that you didn't mention like the Westin, the International, Hotel Arts) are all within a short drive of the TELUS Convention Centre, cab fare will be less than $10 for each trip.

I'd recommend checking out the respective websites of each of the properties you're considering, weigh your options and then have their staff help you with transportation.

Calgary is very easy to get around. Staff are also very friendly and will go out of their way to assist you. You're in good hands whichever way you decide.

One last tip, if your conference dates fall outside Stampede, you might discover that the adjoining hotels to the Convention Centre (Marriott, Hyatt and Fairmont Palliser) encounter some cancellations and that rooms make themselves available. Try contacting the hotels again in May or June (between 30-45 days prior to the convention) to see if any rooms become available.

Have a great trip and enjoy your conference in July.

Mentioned in this post
TELUS Convention Centre
TELUS Convention Centre
18 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Prince's Island Park
Prince's Island Park
1,073 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Hotel Arts
Hotel Arts
27 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
The Fairmont Palliser
The Fairmont Palliser
2,556 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

Sean ~> After reading this I wonder if the elderly people traveling with you are going to the convention or are they just coming along for the trip? If they are just coming for the trip they may enjoy the proximity of the Sheraton to the river, Prince's Island Park and the pathways where they can have leisurely strolls.

Just a thought as you didn't mention if they were going to the convention, but it is assumed that they are.

Have a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Prince's Island Park
Prince's Island Park
1,073 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
7. Re: Trip to calgarry in July.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 04:18