We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

england
3 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

Does anyone have any web sites / information with regards hiring a vehicle in Calgary and driving it through to Vancouver.

one way only.

i've already discussed alot of the information with my travelling buddy (AuntMo you're a super star) but we wanted to assess the feasibility and financial implications of car hire.

Could i ask what is needed to hire a vehicle in Canada as well?

Thankyou.

London
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

We are thinking of doing the same thing and found this website yesterday when doing a search, prices look quite reasonable to me

http://www.carhiredirect.co.uk/index.asp

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

pumper

Judy in Calgary - with an amazing 3400 posts as of May 13 - provided several links in a thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k6888…

Regarding 'what is needed', you'll need to be 21 (and 25 to avoid an extra charge). Provinces set their own rules about driving. If planning to drive for >3 mths, you generally need an Int'l licence. Auto clubs can often provide details about driving in other countries - if you don't have any luck with an internet search.

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

Don't forget that the rates displayed generally do not include the one-way drop fee, which for Alamo is about $200. The displayed rate might also not include GST, which would add about another $30, and airport fees ($30 - $50).

Regarding what you need to rent a car:

All rentals require a clean driving record. Debit cards are not allowed for Pre-Pay reservations. A major credit card or debit card and a valid driver's license in the name of the renter will be required at the time of rental. All renters and additional driver must meet the minimum age requirements for the renting location. Debit and check cards, considered to be any non-credit card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo (except for gift/prepaid cards) may only be used in conjunction with proof of round trip ticket (airline, cruise ship and the like). Without proof of roundtrip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted on return. Any other non-credit card without the Visa or MasterCard logo is not accepted. Customers planning to rent with cash must bring the following documentation to the rental counter: valid Driver's License, a return ticket from an airline, cruise ship or train, verifiable employment, verifiable home phone number or a current verifiable gas or electric bill with the renter's name and address. All documentation must be in the renter's name. A cash deposit will be required in addition to the cost of rental. A passport is required for all non-U.S. citizens.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

I've just booked with Canadian Affair in the UK and for 2 weeks car hire with an intermediate car, it cost me 250 GBP, thats inclusive of one way drop off fee, all taxes and insurance. Really cheap I think.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

That is way cheap

What rental company is that with????

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

National car hire. Canadian Affair are in the UK but you don't have to live in the UK to book it either. We're living in Australia.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

WOW

I just searched my system for National (Called it a mid-end of june rental calgary - vancouver)

the rate you have is almost 100 CAD cheaper than ANYTHING I can see, renting it locally

Insane

St. Catharines...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

we are heading out west on June 1st and found a company at www.wheelsabroad.com - it is a five day minimum rental but we are stopping in Banff for a few days on the way to Vancouver, so it is no big deal. There is no one way drop off fee and the prices they post are the prices you pay - no hidden fees - you will have to check their site to see if they have any special rules for drivers from out of the country.

Make sure you stop in Banff on your trip and visit Banff Springs, part of the Fairmont hotel chain - incredible - and if you can stay for a night or two even better. Make sure you go to the Grizzly House for dinner one night if you do stay, fun.

Have a great trip,

Kitt

Toronto sometimes
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Calgery driving one way to Vancouver

auto-europe.co.uk seem to have the best rates

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,018 posts