We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nefyn
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

We will be travelling from Calgary - Banff- Revelstoke - kamloops- whistler & vancouver. What is the weather (generally) in all these areas ? I don't want to carry any more luggage than I have to this year. Hoping to travel with carry on luggage only !! (as a woman- that's going to be tricky!!) So unless a fleece/coat is absolutely necessary - I won't be taking one. Another question is footwear - we will not be doing anything particularly adventurous - so would one pair of mules suffice ? we are visiting the Athabasca glaciers - so would shoes be ABSOLUTELY necessary or could I get away with mules. We are a package of 2 adults and 2 children 12 and 11 - so it's a question of sandals versus shoes for them also. I guess everyone would shout "shoes" ????

Thanks

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

Hi nerys0

Having visited the rockies on five occasions our sixth in may/June this year.

I have never taken a pair of shoes , let alone mules (Actually i did the first year i went but they never made there way out of my suitcase. In fact hiking boots were the order of the day especially going to places like the athabasca glacier.

Dont get me wrong we didnt go on 20 mile hikes, but we did go for long walks on trails etc, and even on the short walks we wore boots or hiking boots.

Even our soon to be four year old twins will be wearing walking boots this year

The last thing you want to do is twist your ankle.

As far as a coat/fleece is concerned what time of year are you going , actually i dont know why i asked that. Because i have been in May/June Aug/Sep and it has snowed.

The first year i went it was 10 Deg below the norm and it was snowing that was Aug/Sep time.

Anyway whatever the weather you will love it.

Regards

Diamark

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

>>>We will be travelling from Calgary - Banff- Revelstoke - kamloops- whistler & vancouver. What is the weather (generally) in all these areas ?<<<

The highest August temperature that has been recorded in any of the places you have mentioned was 38 deg C (101 deg F). That was in Kamloops.

The lowest August temperature was in Banff where it got down to ���3 deg C (26 deg F).

Now for some specifics.

The average daily high in Banff in August is 21 deg C (70 deg F). However, the high on occasion has gone up to 32 deg C.

The average night time low in Banff in August is 5 deg C (41 deg F). However, as I said before, the low has been known to go down to ���3 deg C (26 deg F).

There are an average of 6 precipitation days in Banff in August. (When it rains, it generally does not rain all day but only for part of the day. Also, as Diamark has mentioned, it���s possible to encounter snow in any month of the year.)

Vancouver���s average daily high in August is 22 deg C. The highest high on record was 33 deg C. The average low is 13 deg C. The lowest low on record was 6 deg C. Vancouver averages 7 precipitation days in August. Vancouver does not get snow in August.

Kamloops usually is hotter than either the Rocky Mountains or Vancouver. The average daily high in August is 27 deg C (82 deg F). The highest temperature recorded in August was 38 deg C (101 deg F).

>>>I don't want to carry any more luggage than I have to this year.<<<

I sympathise with you. I like travelling lightly too.

>>>Hoping to travel with carry on luggage only !! (as a woman- that's going to be tricky!!)<<<

As you say, that will be tricky. The only way that I know how to do it is to wash my clothes in the hotel sink every night. I actually did that on a vacation to Hungary, Serbia, Austria and the Czech Republic in September 2004. However, I did it only for myself. It might be more of a challenge for a family of 4 to do it.

>>>So unless a fleece/coat is absolutely necessary - I won't be taking one.<<<

Sorry. As Diamark has indicated, that's not a realistic option.

>>>Another question is footwear - we will not be doing anything particularly adventurous - so would one pair of mules suffice ? we are visiting the Athabasca glaciers - so would shoes be ABSOLUTELY necessary or could I get away with mules.<<<

Regardless of whether or not you will be doing anything particularly adventurous, some sort of lace-up shoes are essential in the mountains. I like hiking boots best, but you could get away with running shoes (which I think you may call trainers?).

Even if you do one of the most elementary things in the Canadian Rockies, which is to walk up the pile of rocks at the north end of Moraine Lake to get the excellent view from there, you need sturdy, supportive footwear.

If you go onto the Athabasca Glacier without sensible walking shoes you're looking for trouble.

Having said that, you could encounter temperatures around 30 deg C in the mountains and in Vancouver and well above 30 deg C in Kamloops. To be prepared for that possibility, you'll need sandals. However, I recommend sturdy, supportive sandals (the kind with a strap behind the heel).

Another challenge you might encounter, if you pack lightly, is having appropriate clothing for restaurants. In another thread you said you were fussy about where you stopped for lunch. I still don't know what you mean by that. If you mean that you like upscale restaurants, then many of them require smart casual attire in the evenings. That doesn't mean that menfolk have to wear ties and jackets. But it does mean going a step up from hiking boots.

In the next post I'll type what I consider to be a minimal packing list for a woman. A man's or child's packing list would look similar, with minor adjustments.

nefyn
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

Thank you for your comprehensive reply - when I mean fussy, yes I mean decent quality food in good restaurants.

It seems that perhaps the carry on baggage might be a distant /unrealistic option !

Thanks again

Nerys

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

Suggested packing list for summer trip to Western Canada:

SHOES

1 pr lace up shoes

1 pr sturdy sandals

PANTS (TROUSERS)

1 pr navy

1 pr khaki

WALKING SHORTS OR SKIRT

1 navy

1 khaki

SHIRTS

1 long-sleeved shirt ��� white

1 long-sleeved shirt ��� red

1 long-sleeved shirt - navy

1 short-sleeved T- shirt ��� white

1 short-sleeved T- shirt ��� red

1 short-sleeved T- shirt ��� navy

WARM TOP

1 navy (Polartec fleece jacket with zip-front or wool cardigan)

RAIN JACKET (thigh-length with built-in hood)

1 navy

BELT

1 in a neutral colour, probably navy

SCARVES

2 scarves that incorporate the colours of your travel wardrobe

SWIMSUIT

PAJAMAS or NIGHTIE

SARONG

(serves as swimsuit cover up and bath robe)

DAY PACK (SMALL BACKPACK OR RUCKSACK)

NOTES:

1. It helps to wear the heaviest items onto the plane. It's best to wear your hiking boots or trainers and to carry your fleece jacket over your arm when you board the plane.

2. I would recommend packing a wool cap and a pair of gloves in case you encounter snow. They take up little space.

3. Much as it may pain you to do so, you may want to pack a pair of smart casual shoes.

4. It helps so much if you wear a shirt with a chest pocket onto the plane. The chest pocket is an easy place to store your boarding pass and passport while you go through the security check points in an airport. Men's shirts have chest pockets, but most women's blouses do not. That single change, which my husband recommended to me, has made it so much easier for me to navigate through airports.

5. The navy, khaki, white and red colour scheme is one that I actually have used during my travels. Naturally you don't have to stick to the same colours. The point is that it helps enormously if your travel wardrobe is confined to two (at most three) neutral colours plus one contrasting colour. Then everything mixes and matches, and you can create many outfits from a limited number of garments.

6. Long sleeved shirts can be worn with the sleeves rolled up in hot weather. Actually some travel shirts come with tabs to hold rolled up sleeves in place.

7. It's useful if at least a couple of the short sleeved shirts are T-shirts. If the weather turns cold they can be used as underwear.

8. A day pack (small backpack or rucksack) is very useful for carrying your jacket, water bottle and other odds and ends in the mountains. Also it sometimes happens that the airlines don't let you take your carry on bag onto the plane with you (even if it's the right weight and dimensions). You need something into which you can transfer your passport, wallet, toiletries bag and other immediate essentials if they force you to check your carry on bag into the hold.

Hope that helps.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

Oops, Nerys, I didn't see your reply when I posted my follow up message.

Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in august travelling from calgary to vancouver ??

The key to staying comfortable while on an active trip is layering. To get maximum comfort with minimum weight, you need versatile layers that mix and match to create the right amount of insulation, ventilation and weather protection. Try to bring only what is necessary���this will help you and the field staff.

Weather:

The weather in Alberta is generally sunny and dry in the summer, with daytime temperatures in the 60s-70s. Nights can be chilly, so bring some warm clothing - especially for the mountains. You can expect nighttime temperatures anywhere from the 30s-50s (colder in June, warmer in July and August). Brief afternoon thundershowers in the mountains are common, so pleas pack rain gear

DONOT PACK:

Official Papers

Valid passport or proof of citizenship

Photo identification

Airline tickets

Luggage

Duffel bag or soft-sided suitcase, sturdy medium-sized, able to hold sleeping bag and clothing

Rain cover or large plastic trash bag for your daypack, if it rains

Daypack, 2000-2500 cu. in. to carry your camera, water bottles, lunch, rain gear

Luggage tags and luggage locks

Camping Gear

Sleeping bag rated to 30��F (15-20��F if you are a cold sleeper), lightweight, compressible, down or synthetic

City Clothing

Bring a few lightweight, easily washable items for travel and to wear in towns

Comfortable shoes

Clothing

Midweight fleece or wool sweater (I take a lightweight like wind breaker but it advertises for me!)

Lightweight thermal underwear top and bottom, synthetic or wool

Hiking pants

Hiking shorts

Long-sleeve shirts

T-shirts

Underwear

Hiking socks

Liner socks

Swimsuit (rafting day, spas)

Clothing Accessories

Sun hat

Wool or fleece hat

Wool or fleece gloves, lightweight

Outerwear

Rain jacket, lightweight, waterproof and breathable, or a waterproof rain poncho

Rain or wind pants, waterproof and breathable

Footwear

Sturdy hiking boots, waterproof, lightweight, broken-in, aggressive tread

Camp shoes such as tennis shoes or sandals

Booties or watersport sandals or tennis shoes (rafting day)

Travel Accessories

One-quart water bottle(s) or hydration system

Flashlight or headlamp, and spare batteries/bulb

Ear plugs

Favorite energy snacks and drinks

Sunglasses and retainer strap

Sunblock and lip balm

Toiletry kit

Towel (showering, spa)

Personal first-aid kit, small

Insect repellent

Several Ziploc plastic bags for wet clothes

Optional Field Gear

Camera, film and spare batteries

Small binoculars

Watch with alarm or travel clock

Motion sickness remedies

Spare contact lenses or glasses

Games and toys, Frisbee, cards, etc.

Reading and writing materials

Paddling gloves

Travel pillow

Hiking staff or trekking poles

Things to Consider:

Please remember to always pack essential items such as your passport, money, eyewear, a change of clothing (including hiking boots and/or cycling helmet if required), and medications in your carry-on baggage, in case your luggage is delayed.

Wind chill can be a significant feature of this trip. Air temperatures are not very cold, but when the wind is constant, and when you combine this with the stress that altitude puts on your body, you can be robbed of body heat quickly. Wind or rain gear is very important.

Cotton is wonderful in warm weather. However, once it becomes wet, it will drain your body heat. Bring wool or synthetics such as Capilene��, MTS�� and Thermax��.

Always test your layers before a trip. Your outer layer should fit easily over the inside ones without binding and bunching up.

Make sure boots are broken-in. Bring moleskin for foot treatment. Thin liner socks worn under regular hiking socks may minimize the risk of blisters. The liner sock should be synthetic, not cotton. Test your sock combination before you go on the trip.

Stuff sacks are great for sorting gear. Use different sizes/colors to differentiate contents.