We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September/October

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in September/October

Can anyone tell me what the weather is really like in Calgary in September/October? Thinking of visiting my cousin and dont know when best to go!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in September/October

Weather in Calgary at those times of year can be highly unpredictable. We could have a pleasant Indian Supper interspersed with unpleasant wintering kind of conditions. It's a good time to visit though and you'll maybe see the quick changing of the colours on the trees. The mountains are a nice trip any time.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in September/October

onward is completely right about the unpredictability of Calgary weather in Sep/Oct. We have snow at least once every September, but nobody knows which of the 30 days it will be.

But I wouldn't come to see the leaves change. It's rather anti-climactic here. Not the spectacular burst of colour that the eastern provinces and states get.

The touristy sites (the mountains) will be much quieter and potentially cheaper after the summer traffic has died down.

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in September/October

Enjoy your trip. I think September/October is a great time to come. It has been unseasonally hot in Calgary this summer so who knows what the fall might bring. Usually, the days are quite pleasant with cool and crisp evenings.

You can check out Calgary weather on www.weathernetwork.ca.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in September/October

Hi Amberm ;) haven't seen you for awhile.

The colours in Calgary are not something to brag about in the fall. The Larch trees in the mountains are interesting to see though.

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in September/October

Fall is a great time to visit Calgary. September will likely be warmer than October (it's not unusual to see snow every second Halloween).

If we're experiencing an Indian Summer, you can enjoy lunch at a patio on Stephen Avenue in the downtown, get a nice round of golf in at many of the surrounding courses, and enjoy the rich blue skies (it's even more pronounced when the weather gets a little chillier).

The farmers markets should have some good produce in September as well. This makes dining even better at the multiplicity of great restaurants in Calgary.

If you're an angler, the world renowned Bow River will be a great spot for some fantastic fly fishing. I'd rather do it in September than October.

Spruce Meadows also hosts two world class equestrian events in September worth checking out. Of course, there's typically a storm cloud or two hovering around one of the two events.

Calgary's International Film Festival also takes place Sept 20-30 in the case the weather takes a turn for the worse and drives you indoors.

In short, there's always something to do. Just depends what you're interested in.

Hope you have a great visit with your cousin this fall.

6. Re: Weather in September/October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 16:19