We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars off airport

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars off airport

REntal cars for 10 days look a little pricey. We found the same in Alaksa. Instead of renting at airport, we found a good deal off airport and took taxi back and forth. Any recommendations for same in Calgary?

Thanks,

Casa

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars off airport

Yes, Id like the answer to this too

thanks for asking casa...

lookin fwd to the replies

basically i'll be going to banff from calgary everyday for about 3 days and maybe patricia - if thats where the dinosaur provincial park is

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars off airport

Costco.com - search "rent-acar" - get/use promo codes to book the "packages" Costco has arranged. . .

25% off + + + unlimited mileage through various rent-a-car companies.

Have booked and used American Costco site codes in Canada, several times. Takes some "patience" to get the right information - you need to goto Canadian car rental webistes - but the American codes work.. Smooth sailing when you pick-up your Canadian vehicle. . .

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,592 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars off airport

Hi;

Some people have commented here on TA, that they find cheaper rates by renting away from an airport. The downside was that some of the airport locations offer unlimited miles / kilometers, whereas the off site location will charge for them.

Depending on how much you plan to drive, it is definitely something to look into and consider when comparing prices!

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars off airport

If people don't find cheaper rates off-airport, they at least save the airport tax that is added to the cost of the rental (around 18% the last I checked).

Some companies offer same-city drop-offs, so if they have a desk at the airport, you can drop your car there and still avoid this tax.

I can't recommend any companies in Calgary; when I travel, I tend to go with the cheapest one I can find for my needs (after estimating my driving distance--unlimited km is not always the way to go), and using whatever promo codes (from credit cards, air miles, auto clubs, etc.) I can find.

There have been some posts about off-airport rentals in the past. A forum search will provide some recommendations.

>>maybe patricia - if thats where the dinosaur provincial park is<<

Dinosaur PP is near there; if you're looking for the Tyrell Museum, you'll want to go to Drumheller.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars off airport

as mentioned above, the cheapest rates is obtained by going to the major car rental companies and compare. Reason is that no single rental company is the cheapest ALL the time. Discount codes are widely available from all airline websites. You may also try travel sites like travelocity and specify a non-airport locale.

And occasionally it may still be cheaper to rent from the airport even with the airport tax and fees.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars off airport

thanks all-will research-good tip on the miles. That is why I like to post on TA!

Casa

7. Re: rental cars off airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 00:18