We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Canada

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in Canada

We are two retired pensioners, can do a bit of walking, but no water rafting, mountain climbing etc. We plan on visiting Vancouver for about 4 nights, then on to Vancouver island for 5/6/7 days. Then driving to Calgary where my son lives. We would want to arrive in Calgary abut 3rd July, ish. Any ideas, of where to stay on the way,and what to do while we are in said places. Would appreciate any help. Many thanks.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,296 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Canada

Gee, Gillq, not easy. Please advise the total duration of your trip.

I cannot comment on VI, as we did not get time to go there (next time), but I would suggest that you should plan on spending at least five days or more between Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper. In my opinion those areas are the jewels in the crown of Western Canada from our trip last June.

If driving from Vancouver to Calgary I would suggest considering a route through Hope and Kelowna, which we travelled, but you may get other and better suggestions from the local people.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Canada

Sorry, I only have time for a quick note right now, but make sure you have reservations well in hand for the July 1-4 time period, as July 1 is our national holiday (Canada Day).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Canada

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing how much time you have to work with.

In general I would suggest going from Vancouver to Jasper thru Kamloops which totals 794 kilometers. Depending how much you are willing to drive in a day, you could overnight in Kamloops, Clearwater or Valemont. The drive thru Kelowna (Okanagan area) would be nice but is longer.

A night or 2 in Jasper, most of a day driving from from Jasper to Lake Louise/Banff on the Icefields Parkway and then a night or 2 or 3 in the Banff/Lake Louise area.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in Canada

Thanks. We can take about 10-12 days from arriving in Vancouver until we get to Calgary. We are in Canada for 5 weeks visiting my son, and actually thinking of doing the Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper trip later in the holiday. So thinking of Vancouver City for about 4 nights, VI for 4/5 (is that enough) and then on to Calgary. Where to stay via that trip would be a help. I have been to Canada myself and am introducing my sister to the wonders of the country, but have never done the trip Vancouver-Calgary before. What to do on the way over etc. would be helpful in enabling me to arrange hotels on the way. Thanks

Edmonton
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in Canada

Sounds like you are a bit flexible with timelines. I won't comment on hotels/motels as I usually camp.

I think the quickest way from Vancouver to Calgary is to make a lot of mileage the first day going thru Kamloops as far as Salmon Arm, Sycamous or even Revelstoke. Spend a night. Carry on thru Revelstoke, see a bit at Glacier National Park and then on to Golden. Past Golden, near Field you could see Emerald Lake and Takkaka Falls and then on to Lake Louise. Spend a night around there. You might still have time that day to See Lake Louise & Morraine Lake. The next day you can maybe see Johnstone Canyon and some sights around Banff and be in Calgary that night.

You could go thru Kelowna instead of Kamloops but I think this adds to driving time and might create a need for another night. Traffic can be really congested around Kelowna. The main draws in the area are the great summer weather, some pretty lakes, wineries and orchards. It's a pretty area but not the Rocky Mountains.

You could skip the Golden/Revelstoke leg and go thru Kamloops toward Jasper instead, maybe getting as far as Clearwater or Valemont. On the way to Jasper you would pass by Mt Robson. Around Jasper you could see Maligne Canyon & Lake, poke around the Jasper Park Lodge, Mount Edith Cavell/Angel Glacier, Athabasca Falls. Spend at least 1 night in Jasper. Drive to Lake Louise along the Icefields Parkway, considered by many to be one of the most beautiful drives in the world. You would be going past the Columbia Icefield. Now you're in the Lake Louise area where you could spend 1 night to see the sights around there. You could even back-track a bit from Lake Louise into Yoho to see Emerald Lake and Takkaka Falls.

Lots of options, the main "thing to do" is basically to see the scenery.

I would avoid the southern route to Calgary that zig-zags just north of the Canada/US border. It feels like it takes forever to get anwywhere on that route

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in Canada

Thanks chipin, was thinking of doing the southern road, my son suggested it, he seems to think that it is quite a pretty route, well most of Canada is pretty stunning anyway. As we are there for some weeks, we would go to Banff/Lake Louise with him and his family for a couple of days anyway, we love it there. Then my sister and I would do a third trip later in the holiday to Jasper, down through Clearwater/Revelstoke/Golden etc, and back home via Banff again of course.

IF we do the southern border road, where would be a good place to stopover? Still very undecided as to what route to take. Help!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in Canada

On that "southern route" (the #3 hwy, for anyone else reading this) a logical place to stop would be in the Grand Forks or Castlegar area. You son is quite right - it is a nice route, particularly if you've already "done" the #1 route. If you have some time, I would even detour north at Castlegar and check out the Nelson area. This is one of my favorite places in BC, the scenery is stunning.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in Canada

Thanks for taking the time to help out, think Route 3 might be our best bet. Bye

9. Re: Travel in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 07:20