We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

Hi, we are going to be staying downtown, roughly 12 Ave and 8th St. and would welcome recommendations for restaurants in very easy walking distance. We'd be glad for recommendations for a) relaxing pubs, b) more interesting food but also c) good chain restaurants. Price isn't a big deal but distance is.

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I had a look to see what's nearby with Google Maps; there is a Brewster's Brew Pub nearby, at 834 - 11 Avenue S.W. This is a local chain, and I've had good experiences at a few other locations in Calgary; worth having a look.

There are a number of other restaurants in the area, but - aside from an crummy lunch at Holy Grill a few years ago - I haven't tried any of them; hopefully Elainak, Cruiseryyc, or Calagryguy will be able to give you more help.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

What hotel are you staying in? I don't know of one around that location.

All of these are downtown roughly in a three block radius from 8th Avenue between 1st East and 2nd street West:

Teatro's

Milestones

Saltlic

Murietta's

Actually if you just walk along 8th avenue, almost any of the nice restaurants are fine.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Forgot one - the James Joyce Pub

canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I think Murietta's is definitely worth a visit.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Thanks very much, appreciated.

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Sounds like you're staying at Nuvo Suites. I've heard it's a great new boutique option which is good for longer stays.

You're in walking distance to some great spots.

Bonterra on 8th St between 10th & 11th Avenue SW is a great restaurant that has been around for several years and continues to produce great meals. John Gilchrist gave it a nice review back in the winter when he revisited some old restaurants he had overlooked with the wave of new restaurant openings. Has a great patio.

Just nearby is Bumpy's which has some of the best coffee, oatmeal and some other classics which have people lined up ion the mornings.

Ric's Grill is a modern steakhouse located a few blocks from Nuvo past the Best Western on 8th Street SW. Had a great meal there a few years ago. Heard it's still good.

Laurier Lounge is close to Nuvo (7th Street & 12th Avenue SW). It's in an historic house and features a French-inspired menu. Kind of rustic. Great fondue, burgers, poutine too. Not great if you have a mobility disability as you'll need to navigate some narrow stairs for the washrooms.

The historic Lougheed House (13th Avenue SW & 6th Street SW) has a cafe that is open for lunch. Not sure if they're open for dinner. Nice write-up when they first opened last fall.

A few blocks further west is the Red Door Bistro. Great pub with some surprisingly great food too. This place also spawned some fantastic bartenders but I don't know if they're still a breeding ground of some great new mixologists. Good for oysters and mussels.

17th Avenue (5 blocks south of your hotel) has a stretch of restaurants and bars. Lots to choose from ranging from the Metropolitan Grill, Melrose Place (great patio), Buon Giorno (Italian), Mercury, Brava Bistro. Lively crowds Thursdays thru Saturdays.

You're also a 5 minute cab ride from some fantastic culinary options.

Check out a copy of Where Calgary, Avenue Magazine or go on-line to opentable.com or chowhound.com to see some reviews of different spots. Calgary has some great dining for palettes and budgets of all kinds.

Hope you enjoy your stay and your dining in Calgary.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Once again thanks for all this. I have read some very conflicting reviews regarding the restaurant at the top of the Tower, both as to food and service and as to whether it actually does manage to revolve. Any insight on that?

calgary
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

I have not been there lately but I have heard from friends that the food has improved from past years; although it is quite expensive. Yes the restaurant does revolve.

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

360 is the new restaurant at the top of the Calgary Tower. There's also a new Ruth's Chris Steak House on the 2nd Floor.

360 is a revolving restaurant with contemporary decor. Room looks nice. Staff are friendly and know what they're doing. Their restaurant GM, Kevin Taylor, has worked at some great spots in Calgary and Banff, so I'm sure he's making some good inroads with 360.

Menu is quite diverse and you should be able to find something that appeals to you.

I dined there for lunch earlier this summer and had a great meal as did the people I was with. Meal was reasonably priced and we all commented about how we'd like to come back.

Would definitely like to return for dinner one of these days to watch the sunset over the mountains.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

Just a thank you to all of you who replied here and also to my post regarding ground transportation. Had a great stay in Calgary. Your city can take justifiable pride in a well-deserved reputation for hospitableness. I thank you specifically for the recommendations about restaurants -- as much for what to avoid as for what to go to. Among the places we ate and enjoyed ourselves were Brewster's Pub, Rics, Ceili`s Irish Pub, the King & I and also Thanksgiving dinner at the Wainwright Hotel at Heritage Park. We tried to go to the Metropolitan Grill but it was closed for a ticketed event and also Lougheed House but the restaurant is currently not opened. We would probably have wandered around a bit more to some of the other establishments you mentioned but that early outburst of winter deterred us somewhat. Again, our thanks.