We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Speeding Ticket

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Calgary Speeding Ticket

A month after returning home from a two-week vacation in Vancouver and Banff, I was surprised to find an additional $200 charge on my credit card bill from my car rental company. I contacted them and their citations department sent me a copy of a photo-radar speeding ticket from the Calgary police. I had never seen this ticket, nor had the opportunity to protest it before the rental car company paid it. I was not the driver of the car at the time, but it was billed to me because we used my credit card.

My question is this: will this ticket show up on my driving record in California? Thanks for any help with this.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

Nope. The very reason that they can't prove who was actually driving is the reason it won't go against your driving record.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

Your question should also be to see if the person who was driving will pay you back.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

Calgary photo radar tickets are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. (Which is why there are no demerits or other impacts on driving records.) In this case, the owner is the car rental company. In turn, the rental company includes in its contract that your credit card will be debited for any photo radar tickets that were issued while you had the car; I know some rental companies in Calgary have that as a prominent notice inside their vehicles as well.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

What a bummer, eh? Hope that doesn't put a bad taste in your mouth for Calgary. $200 must have been a playground zone or construction site.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

BC got rid of photo radar after too many people were fighting the tickets. The problem is that they cannot prove who was driving.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

I hate to say it, but if you're the owner of the vehicle, you're the responsible party for all sorts of things. If your car is involved in an accident and the driver is at fault, your insurance is going to carry the load, and your rates are going up, even if you aren't present at the time. The driver becomes involved only if (s)he was doing something illegal and gets arrested. In that case, you may find that your insurance company won't cover anything beyond medical for the other side because illegal activities tend to nullify the insurance agreement. Beyond that, it's your car, your responsibility. When you're in possession of a rental, you're the de facto owner. The lesson? Be careful whom you allow to drive a car that's registered, even temporarily, to you.

BTW, school zones, playground zones, and construction zones are taken very seriously in most parts of Canada.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

"What a bummer, eh? Hope that doesn't put a bad taste in your mouth for Calgary. $200 must have been a playground zone or construction site. "

Are those the only places one will have to worry about photo radar?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

Photo radar may not operate on provincial highways, which means any highway with a number less than 100. And there was some sort of decision - I don't recall the details - which curtailed the use of photo radar on county roads by county governments, which is why I don't see photo radar in my rural area anymore. So your main risk in Alberta is the cities.

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

It was announced today that the RCMP are going to be back in the sky to catch speeders. Mainly going to be on the number 1 and 2 highways.A plane and a stop watch and a car waiting up ahead to pull you over.It has been alot of years since they did this in Alberta.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary Speeding Ticket

I suspect that is because the provincial government tied their hands a few years ago by banning photo radar on the provincial highways. Good to hear!