We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

Scotland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

Hello

Im planning motorcycling from vancouver to calagary via jasper + banff national park in April time, i wish to comeplete the trip on a motorbike. Im curios about the road conditions at this time of year... im hoping that the roads will be clear enough for me? Im from Scotland so im unaware of the road conditons at this time of year so hopefully someone can help.. thx

andrew

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

While April is lovely spring out on the coast (Vancouver), it is still late winter in the Rockies. (The deciduous trees here do not leaf out until near the end of May.) While the roads are likely to be clear and dry if it has not recently snowed, it is also possible to get a winter storm. Snow is especially likely at any of the higher elevations along the Icefields Parkway. I have friends who love touring by motorcycle, and they got stuck in the middle/end of May last year in Red Deer, Alberta for several days by a snowstorm - on the plains, not even in the mountains. Here in Jasper, that storm dumped about six inches of fresh snow on the town (low elevation), and the higher elevations got much more.

The average daily highs/low for April for Jasper are 10.8C and minus 2.3, and the record high and low for the month are 26.6 and minus 28.9.

I would suggest having lots of warm clothes and a flexible schedule.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 18:44
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Red Deer
Red Deer
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

Flare0x

Roads in the Canadian Rockies can be very slick at that time, with snow melting during the day and then freezing overnight. (still very much a spring landscape - lakes frozen, ski resorts still open - usually till mid-late May). I have a moped here in Banff and I'm lucky if I can get it out regularly in May. All depends on the weather for that month, but because you are coming from so far away, I wouldn't plan for it. July/August are our true summer months.

Vancouver will be a different story - beautiful spring weather (maybe some rain) but no snow at that time of year in the lower mainland.

banffinfo - Banff Accommodation Reservations

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

Take some advice from an experienced rider - even in places where ice might not be a problem on the road, you will still have a TON of loose pea gravel on the highways everywhere, left over from winter sanding of roads during the winter. April is too early for this sort of a trip here.

Alberta
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

I completely agree with the above posters advice. My husband would not take out his motorbike in April. Way to early. Even in May it is not unusual to get a snowstorm. I would not recommend it.

5. Re: Motorbiking from vancouver to calgary via jasper national p

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:18