We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary hotel

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary hotel

I am flying into Calgary in June and want to book a hotel. The city seems to be divided into sections. Does anyone know if I want to stay downtown or by the airport? I will be renting a car and want to spend the evening exploring Calgary before heading to Banff.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary hotel

Downtown and the airport are both decent options. But there are lots of others too - you could stay on the west side of the city, so as to get to the mountains that little bit sooner the next day (saving 30 minutes or more of driving time, and completely avoiding rush hour); you could stay in the south part of the city, to be close to the major malls (Chinook Centre, Southcentre); you could pick a place to stay that is within walking distance of an LRT (tram) station, so that you don't need to have a car to get around the city. (Also, car rentals can be significantly cheaper if you rent away from the airport, 24 hours after your arrival.)

It really depends on what your plan is - when do you plan to leave for Banff? What kind of things are you interested in seeing while in Calgary?

Edited: 17 March 2010, 04:18
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary hotel

I usually stay downtown when passing through Calgary. That way I am close to all of the night life activities (pubs, restaurants, clubs, shopping, etc...)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary hotel

Hmm, I never thought of shopping as a "night life activity" - maybe I'm not entirely allergic to nightlife after all! :D

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary hotel

I never either, then I got married. Now it is a 24/7/365 activity.

5. Re: Calgary hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 06:19