We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

I am looking at booking a trip from Calgary to Manchester UK. Has anyone flown with these airlines that offer cheap fares? Any advise on how reliable they are and any problems or conditions I should know?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,323 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

I haven't flown with either of them, but Thomas Cooke got some recent poor publicity here because of very poor communications with their passengers over the recent volcano interruptions. According to local news reports, their customers were allowed to stand in the wrong lineup for up to two hours when flights resumed, while other air carriers handled the situation better. There was no reporting - good or bad - on Canadian Affair.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hi Londontraveller023,

Welcome to the CALGARY TRAVEL FORUM.

I see you are fairly new to TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well.

Here is a TA TIP… the FORUMS are also searchable… just look for the SEARCH BOX at the Top of the List of Forum Topics… I knew that Canadian Affair had been discussed many times previously…. so I just typed in the keyword(s) – Canadian Affair – and it generated a bunch of hits… among them this one...

*Has Anyone Booked Flights Through Canadian Affair?* = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k13345…

It is from a couple of years ago but has some great info…

I also know that regular CANADA TRAVEL FORUMS Advisor – RESCUE TEAM has given Canadian Affair a thumbs up in the past for other Travellers… maybe he’ll stop by and tell you more.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
392 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hello Londontraveller023,

We travelled on Canadian Affair's flight from Manchester to Vancouver two summers ago on Thomas Cook . It went well, both flights were on time. We travelled in the premium cabin so had a bit more room. It looked pretty cramped in economy. The food was OK just. I felt for what we paid it was reasonable value. They were very fussy about about hand baggage at Manchester on the way out. The 5 kilo limit is hardly anything at all and they were trying to police it vigorously! On the way back the stewardesses spent most of the flight giggling and chatting just in front of us. I would make sure that I was a few rows back from the galley areas if I could. So overall OK but nothing fantastic, I would not be concerned at this stage if you have paid a good price.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

My dd is living in London UK at the moment and has flown with both Canadian Affair and Thomas Cooke (Canadian Affair is partnered with Thomas Cooke, Air Transat and now West Jet in Canada) in and out of Toronto with no problems at all.

www.canadianaffair.ca/en/airline_partners/

For budget airlines they seems to offer reasonable service, cleanliness and reliability. She has never experienced any delays----not that it can't happen.

You could also check out the Air Transat website on its own which is the airline she's using in July because the prices were great. They also fly Manchester->Calgary.

http://www.airtransat.ca

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,377 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hi LT023;

My inlaws visit us each summer from the UK and book through Canadian Affair, which uses Thomas Cook Airlines for its flights.

They have never had any problems, and usually arrive a bit ahead of time.

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,323 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Just read this recent review, which has some things to say about how Canadian Affair in Calgary dealt with the recent ash cloud incident:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g154913-d183…

Worth considering, as there is no way of knowing how long this volcano will keep affecting air travel.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

the main thing to know is that it is a budget airline - expect no thrills. I get free upgrades to premium (cant say how) but even if you pay ab extra $99 -$199 to upgrade the flight is still very average. unless you want to pay 3 times more to fly BA or Air Canada, book with canadian affair.

Kent
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hi.

I normally travel with Canadian Affair but am very annoyed with them at the moment - they normally offer good legroom on their flights, however they've recently made changes to their cabin layout which makes it horribly cramped in my opinion. In fact, it's the most uncomfortable plane I've ever been on, and I've flown a lot.

The cabin crew are annoyed too, as Thomas Cook have increased the number of seats by 30, but keep the number of cabin crew the same, meaning they are over worked. They told me they are getting fed up with the piles of negative comment cards they deal with at the end of each flight now as a result.

If you're about 5 ft 8 or below you should be fine, however if you're like me (6 ft 3 ) be prepared for a very uncomfortable journey.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,377 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hi Ianthejamaican;

It would be helpful if you mentioned what flight you are referring to, from where to where ?

It would also be helpful if you mentioned what type of aircraft you flew on ?

Best Regards

Kent
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian Affaire or Thomas Cooke Airlines

Hi! I only just saw your message, so apologies for the delay. The flight was from Calgary to LGW, however it was the same on the return leg, from LGW to Vancouver. The plane is an Airbus A330.

Since I posted my message, I even ended up suing Canadian Affair over it, and they offered me an out of court settlement (to the value of approx. $400), which I accepted.

I think it's disgraceful what they've done to the cabin, which has meant staff are over worked and customers very uncomfortable.