We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

Fort Lauderdale...
13 posts
Save Topic
info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

Will be flying into Calgary 6/23 & starting a tour of Canadian Rockies on 6/25. Won't arrive to 9pm coming from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, a long flight. We want to spend our time in downtown area before leaving on our tour. By the time we arrive on 6/23 we will be beat and thought about staying that night at hotel close to airport offering a shuttle from airport, hows the Sandman Airport? Next day we would head downtown to stay at a hotel close to everything for the ease of getting around (C-train too)and seeing the sites. Hoping not to spend a fortune, I was looking at the Five Calgary Downtown Suites or the Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, are these decent hotels (clean). How far, how much is a cab from airport to downtown? Any suggestions, opinions, we are not familar with the area at all.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

You don't have to stay downtown; a place in the Motel Village/University area will put you within walking distance of the C-Train (tram) station at Banff Trail, which can then whisk you downtown or to the zoo without any transfers, and will put you on the western edge of the city before heading to the Rockies. Look for hotels with "Motel Village" or "University" in the hotel name, and check their reviews; there are both good and bad properties in this area.

The Inn on Crowchild is also on the west side of the city and within walking distance of the Dalhousie C-Train station.

For information on transport from the airport to downtown (including cab fares), check this recent thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k35707…

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

Buddy,

While I understand your concern about airport hotel being closer, at that time of day, you're only saving 20 minutes - so I recommend just choosing a place downtown for the 2 nights.

FIVE hotel is across the street from me as I type ( I can see the pool from my office! ) - decent hotel, decent location. I'd recommend it over the Sandman. I'm not sure exactly what's like these days, but the McDonalds across the street is often referred to as "CrackDonalds "

Let me know if you have any more questions?

What kind of tour are you taking? Who ( ages ) are you travelling with?

T

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

Drove past the downtown Sandman on 7th Ave & 8th Street today. Looks like there is some kind of construction on the street beside it. Not the greatest area to be on when the office buildings have emptied out for the day.

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

Hi Buddy,

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

After you land, it will take a little while to clear Canadian customs and then there are a host of options for accommodations. Lots of shuttles to North East hotels and there will be no shortage of taxis to take you downtown.

NE Calgary has a range of new properties to meet a variety of traveler's needs and interests. Delta Calgary Airport, Acclaim, Sandman Calgary Airport, Holiday Inn Express Airport are among the closest to the airport but there's no shortage of other properties nearby (Lakeview Inn & Suites, Country Inn & Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Executive Royal Inn, Sheraton Cavalier, Best Western Port o Call).

Calgarytroy is correct in that an additional 10-20 minute drive will transport you right into the Downtown Core. With a Thursday arrival, there should be lots to see and do downtown on Friday before your Saturday departure. I believe C-Jazz Festival is taking place and there should be some noontime concerts on Stephen Avenue. If the weather is nice, anticipate lots of patio dining. Glenbow Museum has an impressionist exhibit taking place and there's lots to see and do there. The TELUS World of Science is hosting Body Worlds which is a touring exhibit that's also been in Vegas at the Luxor.

As for accommodations in the downtown, Hotel Le Germain is the newest property to open and it might still have some discounted introductory rates. It's a luxury boutique property based out of Quebec. Looks pretty contemporary. It's located close to the Fairmont Palliser, Marriott, Hyatt, Delta Bow Valley. The Westin and Sheraton Eau Claire are located 4 blocks from Stephen Avenue but they're also closer to the charming Prince's Island Park and a great restaurant there called River Cafe.

Several independent properties are located in the downtown too: 5 Suites, the International Hotel, Hotel Arts, Nuvo Hotel & Suites. Sandman Hotel, Regency Suites, Holiday Inn Express and the Ramada are also located on the West End of downtown and normally feature lower rates than some of the larger chains.

There is some fantastic dining in the Downtown Core, it's easy to walk around and shop (Fashion Central, Art Central, the Bay, Holt Renfrew), and there are several tourism attractions nearby (Calgary Tower, Olympic Plaza, Glenbow Museum, TELUS Science Centre). You're also within a C-Train ride or taxi trip from the Calgary Zoo and Dinosaurs Alive.

Hope this helps give you a better overview of options and things to do.

Have a great trip.

5. Re: info for spending 1 1/2 days in Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 05:16