We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

One topic which I didn't see answered in the FAQ is which are the best rental agencies to try for one-way rentals? I plan to pick up my car at the Calgary aiport, and end my trip in Vancouver. I remember reading a post many months ago from someone who said he wasn't charged a drop-off fee at all. I would assume that there are a fair number of people who would want to go from YVR to YYC and vice-a-versa, so a rental agency might balance these out by having customers take Vanouver cars back over the Rockies and Cascades...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

I'm afraid there isn't one right answer to that. Folks who do the research come back to this forum with different answers; the company that offered a no-surcharge one-way trip last year is not the one that will be offering it this year. However, the one bright spot is that, if you're willing to do the legwork, you do stand a chance of finding a company which will waive the drop fee. It seems to help to book well in advance, though.

If you're travelling during the off-season though (Oct-Apr), don't expect any breaks. :(

Edited: 13 July 2010, 01:41
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

Are the deals to avoid drop-off charges available through the rental car agencies' websites, through their 800's, or does one have to call the individual airport unit directly?

upstate NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

We found the cheapest to be Alamo (we're renting in Calgary, dropping off in Vancouver) ...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

one-way fee waiver offers are often unannounced and at the last minute, especially during off-season. Someone paid one-way to drop off the car at your location. Now the agency would want a customer to take it back "for free" (instead of hiring their own transport). You often see these offers scribbled on white boards at the counters.

So you book ahead for whatever best offer you can find, and keep your eyes open when you arrive for last minute offers elsewhere.

Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

Howdy lebelgo

It may have been me that responded to your previous post.

We have just returned from Canada and indeed we hired a car from Vancouver (as mentioned previously hire from downtown rather than the airport as it is cheaper) and dropped it off at Calgary.

The total price for 10 day car hire (all inclusive) was approx $650 with no extra charge for one way hire. We used Hertz but as I have mentioned before I have no allegiance to them so if you find cheaper go for it.

I believe it is similar for reciprocal trips.

Chev Malibu comfortably fitted two of us plus 4 large cases and good fuel economy.

Happy holidays and if you need any more help just PM me

Dave

6. Re: Best car rental agency for one-way YYC to YVR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 05:16