We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia, Kuala...
3 posts
Save Topic
The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

Hi,

I will travel to Calgary and wish to stop by Toronto for sight seeings.

Can anyone recomend the cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto?

Is it a must to travel by flight or there is alternative way such as bus or train?

Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

It is over 3000 kilometres from Calgary to Toronto. There is no train service between Calgary and Toronto (only from Edmonton, north of Calgary - see www.viarail.ca - it takes about three days to get there on the train.) You can take a greyhound bus (www.greyhound.ca ) but it's about a 50 hour ride (one way). Flying is quickest (it's about a five hour flight) - but flights within Canada are not cheap; expect to pay around $500.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

As mentioned they are not exactly close together. It is about a 4 or 5hr flight. So I would say you would need to fly.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

Hitchhike.

Highway 1 eastbound.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

I don't know if Viajero was being facetious, but I would never hitchhike in Canada. It is far too dangerous. You could perhaps find someone who is driving, or check the WestJet site regularly (sign up) for seat sales. Remember, whatever the seat sale price is, double the price, as that's what the price will be with added taxes.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

Kathy, I think Viajero was giving a very literal answer to the OP's question re "what is the cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto?" And it's true, it'd be hard to do it any cheaper than hitch-hiking.

I don't know if hitch-hiking is any more dangerous now than it was thirty years ago, but back in the early 80s, I hitched between Manitoba to Alberta to the west coast a few times and from Alberta out to the east coast, up the west coast of Newfoundland, and back to Alberta, and never had any problems, even when I sometimes (stupidly!) hitched alone. Of course I was too trusting then (the invincibility of youth!) and I would kill my kids if they wanted to do the same thing now - but what I learned then and still believe is that *most* people are kind and generous (it's just the occasional psychopath you have to watch out for. LOL Luckily I never ran into anyone like that.)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,734 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

Hi;

Other than being less than safe, soliciting a ride is a violation of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act.

sl_chang;

For budget travel, have a look at a bus (www.greyhound.ca) or the train (www.viarail.ca)

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

On a practical note, a few years ago a CBC personality whose name escapes me tried to hitchike from Calgary (?) to Toronto in a week. Even with a helping hand from the CBC addicts, he didn't make it.

8. Re: The cheapest transportation from Calgary to Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 06:17