We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the calgary zoo worth it?

Boston
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
is the calgary zoo worth it?

I have 4 hours in Calgary before my tour starts. I was interested in the Zoo. Is it worth it, do you think? Can it all be seen in 4 hours?

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
The Calgary Zoo
The Calgary Zoo
3,611 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,931 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the calgary zoo worth it?

Four hours is the minimum I'd recommend for the zoo; some folks feel they've seen it in an hour or two, but I think they just didn't realize what they were missing. It's pretty big, with sections on animals from Canada, Australia, Africa, and South America. The Siberian Tigers are one of the most popular exhibits with Calgarians; they have a large enclosure at the far west end of the Eurasia exhibit.

Since your time is limited, I'd suggest skipping the Prehistoric Park area unless you're a dino fan or have kids with you; I've heard the exhibits there are due for replacement as they're about 20 years old now.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the calgary zoo worth it?

The zoo is pretty fun, as mentioned there are several sections to check out. Maybe pick a few highlights you want to see for sure and focus on those, then if you have time check out other sections. The dino section is basically dinosaur statues and worth it only because you can't really see anything like that anywhere else, but it certainly is not amazing to adults.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is the calgary zoo worth it?

I agree with what the other TAs are telling you, skip the dino park unless you got young kids with you, but the zoo is worth a look for sure. Its also pretty easy to get to, the LRT (C-train) has a stop there, and it is also not very far form downtown.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 18:21
Boston
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the calgary zoo worth it?

thanks everyone for your input.

5. Re: is the calgary zoo worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 06:16