We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

Hi We are planning driving from Seattle to Calgary and back in december (max 2 weeks) ...with kids...what would be the best route to take in case we need to spend one or 2 nights some nice place in the way? any other recommendations?

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

Do you need to drive? Not the best time of year for that route. That said the best route is likely the first option on Google Maps which is I-90 to Coeur d'Alene spend the night there if you like. Then up US-95 passing Bonners Ferry into Canada at Kingsgate 95 becomes BC-95 which soon joins Hwy 3 (aka the Crowsnest Pass Highway) take this to Hwy 2 (or maybe 22) and go north to Calgary. If you're actually heading to Banff then head up 93 to Kootenay NP and through that way. I think that is the most major highway/least mountainous route.

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

I would agree with the route suggested by wanderer05. I always take Hwy 22 and cross back to Hwy 2 after Chain Lakes to Nanton. I would travel further than Coeur d'Alene on the first day. If you want to stay State side, Sandpoint is nice town. Hotels in Cranbrook or Fernie BC will be more expensive. Fernie is in a very beautiful setting. Winter driving through the mountains is something you'll need to research so that you are fully prepared for weather, road conditions, emergency supplies etc.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

You may find this article on winter driving to be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Also, this article discusses driving in the mountains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c72290/Canadi…

If you're not already experienced in winter driving, a long highway trip with the kids through the mountains is probably not the best introduction to it, or an enjoyable way to start and end your holidays.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 19:15
4. Re: Driving from Seattle to Calgary in December..best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 05:16