We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Christmas Present

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
85 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary Christmas Present

Hi -

For Christmas, I'd like to buy a romantic evening for my sister-in-law and her husband. Problem is, I don't know Calgary at all. (Sorry, I'm from Ontario). I'd like to find an inn, or a lodge within an hour of the city where they could just relax for a night. They're late forties, very relaxed, a couple of kids, and have a pretty good time anywhere they go. Another possibility is a night out on the town - dinner and theatre, or a jazz club.

Any ideas would be most welcome, as I'm stuck in Toronto.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

What is your budget? It is only an hour drive into the Rocky Mountains. They could spend an evening in either Canmore or Banff area. If you let me know of your budget I can suggest a few places.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,379 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

Banff & Canmore is the obvious choice, and likely to please. If you want something off the beaten track, you might look into Bragg Creek, which is a small village in the foothills SW of Calgary - far fewer dining and accommodation choices, but still a popular getaway spot for Calgarians.

Inside Calgary, the Kensington Riverside Inn could be worth investigating. It's a B&B-style hotel with a classy restaurant, and it's located in the Kensington shopping & dining area, close to the Bow River and just a short distance from downtown.

I can't recommend any of these from personal experience, but I thought I'd let you know where I would start my research if I was in your position.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

I vote for staying in town.

Dinner at Ruths Chris at the Calgary Tower, show at Vertigo Theatre, next to the tower, and spend the night at Hotel Le Germain, across from the tower.

http://www.germaincalgary.com/en/home

so now you know what to get ME for xmas :-)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

If you do decide to give them an overnight outside the city, I don't think you can go wrong with a stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs.... provided your budget allows for one of the deluxe or signature rooms which are larger. It's a grand hotel with wonderful restaurants and lounges with a million dollar view any time of the year. We loved our stay there.

fairmont.com/banffsprings/Accommodations/Gue…

I've heard good things about the River Cafe on Prince's Island in Calgary but have never been......might be an option for you in town?

http://www.river-cafe.com/index.php

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

^^^I agree with the Banff Springs.....so romantic and a perfect relaxing getaway for them!

Edited: 02 December 2010, 23:06
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

Interesting...I find the Banff Springs to be a tacky overpriced hotel. Everything closes early and well, I was very disappointed. Rimrock is miles above in style and ambiance and not near as gaudy. IMO BSprings has the history, that's about it.

7. Re: Calgary Christmas Present

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 05:22