We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

update to wait times at Calgary passport office

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
890 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
update to wait times at Calgary passport office

I left my hotel near Sunridge Mall at about 7:05 am. Picked up a coffee at the Starbucks at the Chapters and was urged by staff tehre to take the train instead of driving!

Drove down Barlow Trail to Memorial, traffic moving nicely all the way until about the distance of 2 or 3 blocks before the exit for the overpass over the Bow River. Went over the overpass & into the street level (ImPark) pay lot across the street from the Harry Hayes building; my parking ticket noted the time as 7:28 am. Paid $12 for 2 hours of parking.

Found the info inside the HH building (MacLeod Trail entrance) as to the whereabouts of the passport office to be not helpful. Wandered down the hall to where the escalators are & saw the passport office. There were about 25 people inside already. The gendarme stopped me with a curt "you can't take your coffee in there!" Had to find a garbage can for my cup!

Waited in line for a number (not clear if we were supposed to approach a clerk for a number, or if someone was going to come up to us & give us a number. Eventually a clerk appeared at the wicket in front of the line - I was #2 in line & about 10 people behind me - & the guy in front of me asked for clarification. Turns out one does get a number from that clerk). Got my number & sat down to wait. Saw that there weren't too many numbers ahead of me. When my number was called, I had a pleasant chat with the clerk who served me.

I was done by about 8:05 am! Back to the hotel by 8:20 am to enjoy the rest of our day in Calgary.

Altho it was a very long day getting to Calgary the day before (see my post re winter driving in the BC forum!) it was well worth it to go to Calgary to apply in person. I expect my new passport to arrive in 2 weeks and I am so glad to have that peace of mind!

Thanks again everyone for the advice on getting this done!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

I'm glad it went well for you (other than the rude Comissionaire who made you ditch your coffee...what a shame! Some of them are pretty grumpy, but some of them are very nice too...I know because I work in the Harry Hh=ays Bldg...lol. I guess that guy woke up on the wrong wide of the bed that day!)

So thanks for the update, and I hope you get your passport soon (I'm sure you will). :)

Edited: 15 February 2011, 23:44
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

Thanks so much for the update, EastBC! Glad to hear that it was quick & mostly painless :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

Mostly painless....except for the ridiculous parking charge of $12 for two hours!!! That is just rude.

Glad it went well for you! The driving through the mountains part has been a challenge for the past few months, hasn't it. The road closures have been almost continuous.

Drive BC is still a better site for info; our AMA road reports are notorious for being inaccurate and not updated in a timely manner.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

W.r.t the parking, yeah..... you gotta love the Calgary Parking Authority...I heard that we have the 2nd highest parking rates in North America now(apparently only place that is worse is New York City!!!)....how ridiculous is that?!?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

Yes, pretty bad when I found the parking rates in downtown Vancouver to be reasonable.

6. Re: update to wait times at Calgary passport office

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 19:18