We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoors store?

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
243 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoors store?

Hi

We'll be flying in to Calgary this summer around lunchtime, and then picking up a hire car and driving to Banff. Along the way we want to call in at a good outdoors store so that we can buy some trail shoes and a couple of other things.

Can anyone recommend a good outdoors store not too far off our route?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,314 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoors store?

There are lots of different options. The obvious one is to just buy what you need in Banff; there are several excellent outdoors stores there.

If you're looking for things that you think might be hard to find, or you are trying to get the most for your money, you may wish to save the Banff stores as a fallback. The Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) store in Calgary is just south of downtown, not too far off of your route to Banff. Their catalog is online at www.mec.ca . You have to be a member to shop at MEC, but a lifetime membership is only $5. You will also have to pay to park in their parking lot ($2, if I recall correctly), so make sure you have a few $1 and $2 coins in your pocket.

Atmosphere Sports (formerly Coast Mountain Sports) is another outdoor store right across the street from MEC: www.atmosphere.ca

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,314 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoors store?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the other two options that I had in mind. Bass Pro Shops has a huge store just 10 minutes north of the Calgary airport (it's the "Rockyview" location on their website): www.basspro.com

And on the other end of the spectrum, if you're not looking for anything too exotic, the Sportchek store at Market Mall in NW Calgary may have it:

www.sportchek.ca

Camper's Village is another good outdoor store, but its Macleod Trail location puts it quite a ways off your route.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 14:32
Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
243 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoors store?

Thanks Country_wife. Much appreciated.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoors store?

I'd vote for Mountain Equipment CO-OP. By far the best outdoor store in Calgary in my opinion.

If they don't have what you want just walk across the street to Atmosphere. I bought a nice pair of Merrell hiking shoes there last year for a good price.

There are lots of good outdoors stores in Banff but you'll pay a little more.

If you're shopping for kids then you want "The Great Outdoors" at 422 Memorial Dr NE. Best outdoor store in town for kids stuff. I get all my kids outdoor gear there.

Edited: 29 March 2011, 07:34
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outdoors store?

MEC is good, but I would also consider the North Face- they have stores in both Calgary and Banff thenorthface.com/webapp/…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outdoors store?

My absolute favorite outdoor store in Calgary is Wholesale Sports:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/

It's a little off your route but it's right on a major highway so getting there is pretty quick and easy.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outdoors store?

I recommend the ' heading up to Crossiron Mills' idea from the airport.

2 good stores on the south end of the mall - Sportchek and Basspro, then 2 minutes back south to Stoney Trail west and you can skirt around the entire city and head for the mountains without having to come into downtown for MEC ( which I agree is the best store, just probably not worth the extra hassle ).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outdoors store?

I would wholeheartedly NOT recommend the Great Outdoor Store on Memorial Drive. it is true that the selection is wonderful and the products are top notch but the owner appears to have rage issues. Check it out on yelp. I experienced something very similar today as well. It isn't worth the stress. MEC always has great customer service and the products are top notch as well.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outdoors store?

Personally I would be hesitant to buy a pair of hiking/trail shoes and then expect to wear them right away on hikes. I would want to buy them in plenty of time to wear them around home to break them in. Nothing worse then blisters to put a damper on your holiday.

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
644 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outdoors store?

Army and Navy on 1107 33ST NE is in the area. It has a large selection of foot ware and other outdoor and camping stuff. Should have anything you are looking for, walking sticks, rain gear, food and more.