We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Rockies

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Rockies

I am interested in camping in the rockies this summer. Can someone suggest if it is better to go to Banff or Jasper and what are some recommended campsites. I would like a campsite that offers basic facilities and great views.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,314 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Rockies

Hi Dforce! Are you planning on tenting or RVing? What do you consider to be basic facilities? Flush toilets & showers? Electrical/water hookups? Pit / vault toilets and well water?

Banff and Jasper are quite comparable in terms of landscape and basic infrastructure, but Banff National Park gets many more visitors and has some additional services (everything from museums and concerts to many more restaurants and shops) as a result.

For views at campgrounds, it really depends on the site that you get. There are some sites at Tunnel Mountain Village I in Banff that have views that are as good as the views you can get from a four-figure suite at the Fairmont Banff SpringsBanff Springs; but the views from other sites in the same campground are not nearly as nice. Two Jack Lakeshore would be awesome - if you could get one of the few lakeshore sites. (And all sites at Two Jack Lake are first-come, first-served.) Which reminds me - if you will be camping in the Rockies during one of the summer long weekends, you must have a reservation or be in your campsite for that weekend by the preceding Thursday. On the long weekends, every campsite and room is full. There are also restrictions on alcohol consumption in Jasper NP campgrounds all summer, and in Banff NP campgrounds during the summer long weekends.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Rockies

Hi Country Wife!

I am going to be tenting with some friends for 2 to 3 nights. A facility with flush toilets and showers would be nice.

It sounds like from what you are saying that there is more to do in Banff but would it also be more crowded and too touristy? Regarding Tunnel mountain Village I....how can I ensure that we get a site with a good view? Can I reserve a specific site and which site is it? I believe we will likely be camping from July 14 to 17.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Rockies

Hi dforce - I just responded to a similar question on another thread. We stayed at Tunnel Mountain in Banff because I was concerned about being able to reserve a spot. We were in a tent trailer. We checked out I, II and III, and we thought all three were pretty terrible. I think we had TM2 and it was literally a parking lot.

By contrast, we stayed at Wapiti in Jasper last summer. IMO, a much nicer campground. No power, centralized washroom blocks and a main shower building back down at the entrance that we drove to. A few minutes outside of town.

Both Parks have a lot to offer, and with only three days, you won't tap out your options in either location.

Tunnel Mountain did have an amazing view, and it was very convenient to town and some walking trails. It all depends on what you want I guess.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 07:30
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Rockies

Thanks for the feedback. We definitely don`t want a parking lot atmosphere. I`d like to feel like I`m out in the wilderness and somewhat isolated for privacy. Hopefully some others can make other recommendations of good camp sites in the area that offer showers, toilets, some kind of privacy and good views.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Rockies

Here is the Banff National Park website's page with a list of all the campground and the facilities each one has:

www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit9.aspx

There is a similar page for Jasper National Park, on their website.

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Rockies

My fav is staying at Johnston Canyon campground.You can do the hike up to 2 different waterfalls. It is one of the most awesome places you will ever see.Great place for a couple of days.

7. Re: Camping in Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 16:16