We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

I know that there are lots of posts relating to driving routes, accom options for a 2 week holiday landing in Calgary departing Vancouver. However i think that most of the posts are tailored to the more mature end of the travelling spectrum.

We are a 30year old couple looking for adventure and boutique type hotels which are not going to be populated by large tour parties. I can't think of anything worse than staying at a hotel with a large group of American OAPs....

if anyone has any good ideas for hotels/route-somethign along the lines of teh Mr and Mrs Smith website in the UK would be great it would eb highly appreciated.

I am looking for options along the Calgary-Banff-Lake Louise-Jasper-Vancouver Island-Vancouver route, but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know

Thanks for the help

Matt

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

Do you realize what kind of a person this statement makes you sound like, Matt?

"I can't think of anything worse than staying at a hotel with a large group of American OAPs...."

I'll just state, for the record, that I thought of at least half a dozen sarcastic, mischievous, and annoyed responses. But I decided to actually answer your question instead.

I can't think of any hotels in Banff or Lake Louise which would meet your criteria. Coach tours are a bread & butter business in Banff and Lake Louise. Any place which is worth staying at and which has enough space (30-40 rooms), will book coach tours if they can. And seniors--from the US, Canada, and the UK--are the main clientele for coach tours.

Most young people tend to be budget travellers who stay in budget accommodations, such as hostels. But it sounds like you're aiming a bit higher than that. So probably your best bet is to choose a very nice B&B in Banff, such as A Banff Boutique Inn.

You might enjoy staying in a cabin-type accommodation outside the Banff townsite; I would imagine that those are rarely used by tour groups. So look into Johnston Canyon Resort, Paradise Lodges, Baker Creek Chalets, Storm Mountain Lodge, and so on.

As far as routes go, there are only a few routes between Banff/Calgary and Vancouver; you can see them outlined, along with their features, in this TripAdvisor Traveller Article:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154922-c120076/Britis…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members just like you and me, in response to the most popular forum questions.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 15:08
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

LeGermain in Calgary is a boutique hotel, might be what you are looking for when you are here. http://www.germaincalgary.com/en/home

Hotel Arts is as well: http://www.hotelarts.ca/

As for the Rockies (Banff, Lake Louise, etc.) I agree w/ CW, you won't really find this type of boutique accomodations there. However, I would recommend the Fox Inn and Suites when in Banff, the loft suites are very nice. http://www.bestofbanff.com/fox-hotel-suites/

You could also consider staying at the Fairmont hotels (Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs) , or even the Rimrock in Banff. Those are the higher end hotels, however I don't know that you will be able to avoid coach tours, toursits or seniors when you travel tbhrough the Rockies, no matter where you decide to stay. As CW pointed out, tourism is the bread and butter of these places, so you can expect to see lots of tourists.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

Thanks, Canadian071 - I've been spending too much time on the Banff forums, and completely forgot to address the Calgary side of the question. Another place in Calgary which might be worth looking into is the Kensington Riverside Inn, which also has the advantage of being located in trendy Kensington.

The Fairmont hotels in Banff and Lake Louise (especially Lake Louise) get lots of coach tours - some recent reviews have been complaining about that. Moraine Lake Lodge and Emerald Lake Lodge probably don't get many coach tours staying there, but they are very popular destinations for day visitors. Cathedral Mountain Lodge in Yoho National Park might be worth checking out, too.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 16:40
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

Thanks for all the replies sorry didn't mean to sound arrrogant!! We've sorted our itinerary now and are looking forward to a amazing trip!!

Thanks for the help

Matt

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

Hope you have a great trip - please feel free to post about your experiences on your return!

6. Re: 2 Weeks to Vancouver-Young Person/Boutique Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:41