We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Won a trip to Calgary Stampede

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Won a trip to Calgary Stampede

Hello all,

Man I love this site and all the great people willing to help out others travelling the world.

Anyways, I won a trip to the Calgary Stampede through an online contest (I'm that guy everyone knows and hates that wins stuff,sorry..LOL)

We will be flying from Ontario via WestJet on Thursday July 5 and heading back home Sunday July 8th. Staying the 1st night between the airport and downtown at Four Points. We really want to go to Banff, should we rent a car, is it worth it?? I heard its amazing. Staying the Fri/Sat at Hotel Arts downtown. I know that's within walking distance to the Stampede. We really want to see the parade on Friday morning. Any tips or suggestions on travelling into the downtown core and where is the best place for us to sit, since the VIP seating is sold out??

WOW..lots of questions here..I'm sure I have more.

Anyways, any help or suggestions from the great people out there would be great.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Won a trip to Calgary Stampede

You could easily fit in a day trip to Banff. It's about an hour, to an hour and a half away. The question is, is would you really want to during stampede weekend? You could spend Friday at the stampede, Saturday in Banff.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Won a trip to Calgary Stampede

Congrats on your win! You're going to have a great time!

I'm not sure I'd call the pre-sold bleacher seats "VIP seating". They're just bleacher seats, after all. You can see them if you use Google Street View on the parade route, as the Street View car went through downtown Calgary in the very early morning before the 2009 parade.

I've heard that some of the best non-bleacher spots are at the start of the parade route (near Bow Valley College) and near its end (9th Ave east of 1st St SE).

The Hotel Arts is about 4 blocks from the 9th Ave leg of the Stampede parade route, which is good, because traffic into downtown is stopped at 7:30 am on parade day, except for the C-Train (tram) service on 7th Ave. So you won't have far to walk.

Check out …calgarystampede.com/parade-prelude.html (and the other pages about the parade there) for more helpful information and tips.

Since you're staying at the Hotel Arts, try to stand out front after dark to see their Jeff de Boer sculpture, "Light, the Universe, and Everything" do its thing. I'm sure the desk staff can tell you what the schedule is. (I haven't had a chance to see it myself, yet.)

And yes, Banff is worth it, even if you just drive out there for an afternoon and return to your hotel after supper. You'll save on your car rental if you don't pick up your car at the airport but wait until you've been here for 24 hours.

For more about the Stampede, check out this TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "Stampede for First-Time Visitors":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members just like you and me, in response to the most popular forum questions.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 17:19
3. Re: Won a trip to Calgary Stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:15