We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

routes car rental

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
routes car rental

Hello, I am looking for car rental in August and I came across this company thru Kayak called Routes www.routescarrentals.com/locations.html. It seems they are well established in Toronto and have one location in Calgary. Kayak links to a website called carrentalexpress.com to make the booking which is quite a bit cheaper than other standard companies. I called the company and they say they have a shuttle to pick up passengers and is about 15 minutes from the airport. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has used "routes" and carrentalexpress.com as to reliability, etc Thank you

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,034 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: routes car rental

Hi natrat;

They appear to have a number of locations around Toronto, but I have never heard of them before.

Best Regards

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: routes car rental

As long as you are comparing rental prices, be sure to price out the others from their off-airport locations as well. The premiums for picking up at the Calgary airport seem to be rather high compared to the premiums I'm used to paying in other cities.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: routes car rental

Thanks for your responses. Found a good deal with National using Entertainment discount. Decided against unknown companies especially if road service is needed, etc.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: routes car rental

We're renting our car downtown and saving $700 for two weeks. I can't believe how much they charge at the airport.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,034 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: routes car rental

You're Welcome, natrat !

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: routes car rental

natrat, you brought up a good point. I couldn't decide between Thrifty and Budget, both were priced similarly. I went with Budget because they have more locations on the route we're taking. Last year in Oregon we had to switch cars because the trunk latch busted.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: routes car rental

We rented a car from Routes in Calgary. However, the site did not make it clear that there is no office at the airport itself and you must call for a suttle service. They are not on the off-site car rental phone list so you have to find a pay phone if your cell is not on international calls. When you do finally reach them they took over 30 minutes to get there. But, everything else did go smoothly after that. Their website should be much clearer!

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: routes car rental

Don't rent from this company. It is a scam. They are not near the airport. More importantly, when you get there they dramatically increase the rate, ignore their own reservation/email, and tell you there is no way back to the airport except another $50 cab ride (they won't take you). They are not a real car rental company just a couple guys in a chop shop. Go with a national company at the airport and save $$.

9. Re: routes car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 15:05
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: routes car rental

Check this thread for mention of Routes near Toronto

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k471547…