We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Car rental at airport or city?

Hi,

Just want to know if I should rent a car from the airport or the city, it looks like the airport is at least $100 more expensive for 8 day hire. Would really appreciate it if someone can answer the following questions:

1. How much does it cost to get to the city to airport and back for car rentals?

2. They don't allow drop-off at the airport if pickup is from city right?

3. Which rental company is the best? Hertz, Budget, Thirfty or National? Also have to consider location as I'll be driving to Banff.

4. Should I buy the collision waiver insurance that cost like $25 a day? That almost doubles the price at the end...just want to know if the insurance is worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,667 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

2. Some do (such as Hertz, Avis)

3. Hertz, Avis

4. If you wreck the car and it's your fault(or even not, in some situations), you pay for the damages, up to retail value of the car (or a few thousand dollars, depends on rental agency), plus loss of use while the car is being repaired. If you are OK with that, no need to buy CDW. Some credit cards may offer free CDW, please check with your own bank. Finally there are 3rd party insurance companies that sell CDW which is much cheaper. google search "car hire excess".

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

1. For $8, you can take a limited-stops shuttle from the airport to the downtown; the trip to the airport is only $2.75. It's Calgary Transit's Rte 300: www.calgarytransit.com/route_maps/rte300.html

3. There is an Alberta-based company, Driving Force, which has a good reputation and may be worth considering as well: www.drivingforce.ca/car-rentals/index.aspx

They don't have an airport location.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

hi

It is called the "hassle factor"

is the extra cost worth the hassle of getting yourself and luggage to a downtown location.. downtown is between the airport and Banff so locations should not be a problem.

if you do get the vehicle from downtown the advice offered by others has been to make sure you do not get trapped in telling them that you just arrived on a flight, it has been reported that they will charge you airport price if you do.

4. if you have a premium credit card it should cover your car rental insurance - you have to use the credit card when picking up the car.

if you do not have a premium cc and own a car your broker "may be" able to add car rental coverage to your existing policy which is then good for the year.

to save money - do not get the GPS option - if you think you need one just buy one which is good forever. you can usually get North American maps if you buy the unit before you leave Sydney. TomTom unit that I have has maps at reasonable costs when downloaded from the internet.

and, join the rewards program of the rental co before you make your reservations even if you will only use it only once. Since there are no deposit required for car rentals keep checking prices and cancel and rebook if you find a better deal.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

The Australian premium credit card insurance should cover car insurance - check the policy. If you don't have one of those cc's most travel insurance policies cover car insurance o/s so you don't need separate CWD - check the policy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

Hi Aaron, we are currently in Calgary and I hired a car through discountcars.com I have used this company previously in Europe and have found them to be the best. They search for the best rate within all the rental companies and they will save you heaps. There is no need to pay the additional accident waiver as with discountcars.com it is included. Give them a go as they are really great to deal with. Our car was booked through discountcars.com but it was an Alamo car hire. After you've booked your car you will receive an email from them as to which car rental company your booking is made with. I've recommended this company to plenty of people and they have all been more than satisfied with them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I think I'll go with using Calgary transit route 300 and rent from the city instead. Is it $8 or is it $8+$2.75 one way?

I'll also need to find a rental company that's near where the bus stops, and also close to the Trans Canada highway for easy access to Banff. Any ideas?

Also, I've just checked discountcars.com but it looks like it's still cheaper with Budget or National though. But the CDW is more expensive for those companies. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

$8 for your trip from the airport. $2.75 for your return trip to the airport.

In other words, if you board the bus at the airport, it's $8 for your one-way trip downtown. If you board the bus at any other point, your one-way fare is $2.75.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

Aaron, this is exactly what we're doing when we arrive in a couple weeks. I found by renting a car downtown it's saving us over $600 for the two weeks of our trip.

I went with Budget a while ago but their rates have gone up since. I think we might have to walk a block or two when getting off the bus, well worth the effort IMO.

Thrifty had similar rates with Budget, but Budget has more locations on the route we're taking in case there's a problem with the car.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

You don't need to take a return trip to the airport by transit. I recently rented from Hertz in downtown Calgary, and the cost was only expensive if I picked up at the airport. Picking up downtown and dropping off at the airport was the same cost as picking up and dropping off downtown. That might not be the case with all rental agencies, but it certainly was with Hertz. I think I used their location on MacLeod Trail?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental at airport or city?

Actually I think I may rent the car from Banff, since I'll be arriving around 5pm and returning the car 8 days later at 9pm, I find most companies charge 1 extra day just for a few hours which I gotta pay CDW on top too. another consideration is driving in the dark is not so good and I'm a single traveler.

From the prices I see for the shuttles from airport to Banff, looks like the cheapest is $100 return? Does Greyhound do it any cheaper from downtown Calgary? If so, how do I get there from the airport? The same Calgary transit bus?

I also see that car rental in Banff is slightly higher than Calgary but cheaper than airport.