We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

Hello Travelers!

I am staying in Calgary for a long period of time and am wondering what your opinion is on the NW versus the SW? I think that it might be better for us to stay in the NW for the easy access to the mountains??? But I have heard that SW is nicer?

We are two young "professional" that will enjoy heading to the mountains and also going into the city centre for dinner on occasion........what are your thought on where to say?

Any help would be very much appreciate!

Thanks in advance!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

Both are pretty nice, and both are huge! For you, I think I'd give the edge to a NW location, as the connections to downtown and to the mountains are somewhat better.

You might also look for a location near the West LRT (tram) line, which is scheduled to begin operations in mid-December. Could be the best of both worlds, with quick tram connections to downtown and not as far from the mountains as some of the more southerly SW areas, like Midnapore, Sundance, and Shawnessy.

http://www.westlrt.com/

Edited: 30 October 2012, 14:54
Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

Thanks that sounds great!

Any neighbourhoods that you would suggest in the NW?

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

See if any of these will fill your need:

…kijiji.ca/p/…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

I'm biased but we moved from the NW (Edgemont) ........ well North really, to the SW (Christie) and I think our access to downtown will be about the same as NW when the West LRT opens next March and probably better to the mountains - Nakiska is 55 mins door to door. I just think the West areas such as (Christie, Signal Hill, Aspen, Strathcona, West Springs) are so much nicer to live in than the equivalents on the edge of town on NW so huge vote for West from me but it is considerably more expensive generally.

In case you hadn't realised, the cut-off between NW and SW is the Bow River - HTHs

Rob

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

News stories a few weeks ago strongly suggested that the West LRT could open on Dec. 10, but I don't think that hasn't been officially announced.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/West+open+December+meeting+original+deadline/7346284/story.html

cbc.ca/news/…calgary-west-lrt-opening.html

Edited: 01 November 2012, 04:40
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

I agree with the comments above regarding the opening of the West LRT leg. That will provide easy and relatively quick access to downtown compared to the commute from the NW.

Try some of the areas on the hill (west side of Sarcee Trail) - Sirocco, Simcoe, Christie, Strathcona.. these areas all have easy mountain access as you just travel straight down Sarcee Trail and out onto the highway.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

Thanks everyone!!

Any other community suggestions? How is Panorama Hills/ Springs?

Is it safer in the SW or NW? Does it matter?

You have all been very helpful!

Thank-you :)

8. Re: Extended Stay in Calgary- SW or NW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 10:17