We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

We have a group of about 7-10 people driving from Kansas to Calgary, who would also like to see Yellowstone (if possible). This plan is to leave June 3 or so and return June 12 to KS. The ages of people vary from 47 years to 11 year old. There are 5 to 7 adults and 3 kids. I wanted to request help with planning the itenary for sightseeing and accomodation recommendations for maybe a condo or something where we could cook (minimally) for ourselves. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions! BTW, I should also clarify that we have 3 people travelling from India specifically for this Calgary/YP visit.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

Maybe I should have also clarified that our main interst is sightseeing type of activities. We can add to it, most likely no hiking/biking, etc. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

That's a pretty ambitious trip! According to Google Maps, it would take 24 hours of non-stop driving just to get to Calgary. While Google Maps' driving times can be unreliable, that does tally with my experience driving similar distances in Canada. But if you're in heavy traffic in some places, that will increase your driving time. (I don't know how similar driving in that part of the US is to driving in Western Canada, where the highways are usually pretty free flowing.)

So let's assume you go all out and drive for two 12-hour days to get to Calgary Of course, the actual time on the road will be longer due to stops for fuel, washrooms, and meals, but you're travelling in June so there will be plenty of daylight.The folks on the Road Trips forum can probably give you some good advice about routes and stops along the way:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trip…

Day 1: Leave home, drive 12 hours.

Day 2: Drive another 12 hours, arrive Calgary.

Day 3-7: Explore Calgary & Banff. (I'm assuming you're visiting Calgary to see relatives or something similar. Otherwise, I'd suggest going straight to Banff.)

Day 8 & 9: Leave Calgary, return to Kansas. Again, 2 days with 12+ hours of driving.

If this were my trip, I'd either fly to Calgary or just visit Yellowstone, which is much closer to Kansas.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 16:52
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,417 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

I am a little unclear whether you plan to be back to Kansas by June 12 (i.e. ten days total for your trip), or whether June 12 is when you plan to start on your way back to Kansas. I sure hope it is the latter, since according to google maps, your route is 30 hours of driving time - http://goo.gl/maps/pPxoC ... and you'll need to add in extra time, since that doesn't include meal breaks, bathroom stops etc. That doesn't leave a lot of time for much; your main "sightseeing" will be watching the scenery zip by the windows of your vehicles (sounds like a miserable trip for the children involved). Even without Yellowstone Park, the driving time each way is about 23 hours.

Also, while Calgary is a nice city (as far as cities go), its interest to most visitors is that it's a convenient jumping-off point to the Canadian Rockies and Banff National Park. Whether your plans are to visit Calgary, or Banff National Park, you'll want to plan for at least a couple of days in that location.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

Thanks for insight. We were not planning for visiting relatives, just wanted to go to Rocky Mountains to see scenery, and also Banff National Park. We have three drivers, so we were planning to drive straight, maybe. The kids are 11, 12, and 16 year olds, and they are used to long trips. So if you could kindly suggest help with rocky mountain and blanff sight seeing, that would be appreciated. Also, if you know of condos or similar rentals nearby to those areas, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

I really don't recommend driving unfamiliar roads in the dark at a time when you're normally sleeping.There are just too many things that can go wrong, even if the driver is completely alert (which they won't be).

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,417 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

You have posted this in the Calgary forum. If you go to the Banff, or the Banff National Park forums, you can check the "Top Questions" at the right of the page - one of them breaks down the choices of hotels in Banff in regards to location, amenities etc. There is a listing there of the hotels that offer condo-style units, and you can check the reviews section for further information and opinions from people who have actually stayed at them. Note that there are no private condo rentals available in Banff, because of residency restrictions in the national park.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

I have stayed at these places.

http://www.fairmontcreek.ca/ (these are homes that were suppose to be sold to people until the resession kicked in and they couldnt sell them. So they are some NICE places)

http://www.rockymountainresort.com/

As for activities:

Calgary doesn't have much. If want some candian history the Heritage Park

http://www.heritagepark.ca/

Our Zoo is pretty good comparably to many in North America that i have been to.

http://www.calgaryzoo.ab.ca/

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

Calgary has lots more to see than the zoo and Heritage Park, but with the limited amount of time available, the OP is probably going to want to focus on Banff. For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend driving 2 hours SW of Banff in order to stay in Fairmont Hot Springs.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

That's an insanely long trip in terms of driving. I have driven from Salina, Kansas (random I know) back home to Calgary, with overnights in Denver and Billings and that was with at least 8 hours driving each day and more on the Billings- Calgary day.

Plus you have to cross the border at a post thats open 24 hours a day.

Why not just go to Yellowstone?

Anyway - if you insist - look at Tunnel Mt resort, Douglas Fir Resort and Hidden Ridge resort for family units and condos.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 21:28
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip planning and accomodation suggestions help request

If you think there is a lot of things to do in Calgary list them!

I don't understand why people even visit calgary excluding the week of Stampede.

Maybe Spruce Meadows if there is something that week

www.sprucemeadows.com/tournament_index.jsp

But you probably have horsejumping in Kansas

Also why spend all your days in banff. Whats wrong with a little BC.