We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental away from YYC

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental away from YYC

Hi,

Last year we flew into Calgary from 8/24 to 9/1 and paid $325 for an intermediate rental car at YYC. This year, we're coming on the same dates and the same class of car is $540!

So I'm thinking of renting from the Avis at 2828 23rd St NE, which seems to be about a 15-minute cab ride from the airport. It'll save me about $250.

Does this sound like a good idea? What would the cab cost? Can I return the car to the airport afterwards?

Thanks for your help,

Brooke

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

I never rent a car at YYC; it has always been worth the cost of a cab ride into town to pick up the car.

I don't know about Avis, but certainly with Hertz I have been able to return the car to the airport for no additional charge, so you shouldn't need to take a cab ride at both ends.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
415 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

As to the cab fare it appears to be around $25 (plus tip). Here is an estimator http://calgary.taxime.ca/

When I was there last year, Avis was going to charge me $15 to return it to the airport - cheaper than the cab.

The rule on the car rental is if you rent a car within 24 hours of arrival then yo upay the same airport fees regardless of where you pick it up.

Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't. Depending on th eanswer you give you may or may not be charged the airport fees.

There are other car rental agencies located in downtown.

You could take the Airport bus which I used last year, had a little wait for it depart the airport but it is pretty much an express to downtown and cost 8.50/person and had plenty of room for luggage.

calgarytransit.com/html/airport_service.html

I've also heard of shuttle ($15?) to several points in Downtown.

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

Thanks for the information.

I'll have to see if I can match up the Airport bus route with a stop near a car rental agency. A cab might be easier, so I might stick with that for an extra $10.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

The Calgary Transit Rte 300 bus is $8.75 to go from the airport to downtown; to board the bus at any point but the airport, the fare is only $3:

www.calgarytransit.com/route_maps/rte300.html

I understand that the Allied airport shuttle is $15, but the trip is quicker and more direct:

http://www.airportshuttlecalgary.ca/schedules

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

I would suggest checking cheapoair.com for rates. The site seemed cheaper than what you mention.

6. Re: Car Rental away from YYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17