We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Woke up to the news of flooding in Calgary and Canmore which got me very concerned. We're booked to arrive on Wednesday, June 26 for a 10-day stay in Canmore and Jasper area. What's the situation like in Canmore? Do I need to contact hotel, airline, and car rental to cancel? Or keep current reservations and hope for the best.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,993 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Its going to be day-to-day. I very much doubt anyone wants to start handling cancellations more than a day or two in advance. You might want to find out if any of your planned properties are currently underwater, because then you know they won't be able to accommodate you. You might also want to check out some options - there are some really beautiful, small, relatively undiscovered communities on the west side of the Rockies that should still be fine, so while you might need to alter your plans, I would think you could still get a vacation.

If you are flying into Calgary, then you may have to see if they are rerouting or canceling flights. Canmore and Banff are currently completely blocked off (there's another thread on here about all the details) and unessential travel in Calgary is strongly discouraged. This might all change very quickly as soon at the water starts to drop, but it will be a case of assessing the situation each day.

I'd do some research, but just stay calm and don't start to make any serioius plans until Monday. I know its stressful to wait it out, but its very possible that everything will be at least functional by then.

There are mudslides and road damage that will make for a long clean up that will impact your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

I'm booked to arrive July 2nd in calgary them drive to banff. I'm hoping it will be cleared up enough to be ok by then but I'm worried as well. In trying to hold out until Monday before i start cancelling as I'm sure I won't get all my money back (which is ridiculous I think as its due To a natural disaster and not something trivial)

It's hard to wait though.

Stratford, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Are they allowing flights into Calgary ? We fly in tomorrow to Calgary then to Lethbridge.

Stratford, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Are they allowing flights into Calgary ? We fly in tomorrow to Calgary then to Lethbridge.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 16:49
Calgary
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

According to YYC.com everything is still on schedule.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

There are at least two areas of major damage on the TransCAnada highway, from the video I have seen on social media. At Canmore where Cougar Creek flows beside and under the highway, both sides of the divided highway have been undermined and pavement collapsed, narrowing both to one lane... which may be seriously undermined so that the lane visible may not be viable. With the rain still coming and the situation still "fluid", I imagine they are not yet able to start on assessing and repairing the damage. Here is that footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IbrPIsLyg

Further, just saw photos of Carrot Creek, near the Banff National Park east gate - you can access this and other updates from the BNP website www.pc.gc.ca/banff - one side of the divided highway has been completely washed out. This is the link to that photo: http://ow.ly/i/2pY5C

Currently, the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is still closed due to a mudslide, and there haven't been any details from Parks Canada on how serious that is, nor an estimate on opening. These situations are usually cleared up in a few days though.

The TCH#1 is a major Canadian transportation corridor, so as soon as the rain stops and the flowing water slows, getting it open will be a very high priority. Given the seriousness of the damage though, it obviously will be some time before full repairs are compplete so there will be delays with single lane traffic being re-routed etc..

Since your arrival is not for another five days, it's hard to say what the situation will be. I am finding it difficult to find updated info on Canmore today (but it is still early, and with power having been intermittent people may not have been able to post new photos and video.) Perhaps try contacting your Canmore accommodation to get an update on conditions there, and a recommendation from them as to how best to proceed - ?

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

I'm stuck in Canmore at the moment. Downtown is ok with most shops/restaurants are open at the moment. Parts are flooded and its getting worse in the area near the hospital. However there is no access to the highway in either direction and its unlikely there will be today and probably longer. Most of the army which were coming to access/repair the damage has been diverted to Calgary and it has been pouring down all morning. There is access via the Three Sisters Parkway from Calgary but this is limited to emergency vehicles, heavy equipment and supplies.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

We stayed in Canmore & Calgary on vacation a few years ago and fell in love with the places and the people. Just hope everybody comes through this safely. Property can be replaced - people can't.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

I contacted the owner of resort we're staying. According to him, most of the flooding is confined to Cougar Creek residential area and it's business as usual in Canmore and downtown area. All services, including electricity, water, gas, phone and internet, are up and running. Sounds like Highway 1A is expected to open in the next few days and Trans-Canada soon to follow. Weather is reported to clear and look dry and warm next week. Like some of you mentioned, it's going to be on a day-by-day basis. I'm planning to call on Monday to follow-up with the situation and will keep you posted. We're not to going cancel our trip based on the media unless it is absolutely necessary. Thank you to all who replied.

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2013 Flood in Calgary & Canmore

Hi,

We were one of the last few cars which got let through from Columbia Icefields (heading South) down to Lake Louise yesterday. There was a lot of water on the road and 3 main spots where a mudslide was covering the Northbound lane (+ about 6inches of water covering the whole road).

My guess is it won't take them long now to open up Northbound traffic to light vehicles. The only thing which I guess is taking time is for them to check the integrity of every road/water crossing first.

Good website for roads is: www.alberta511.ca