We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

G K
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

Hi,

My husband has taken a job in Calgary and we will be driving from Vancouver to Calgary in early October.. I have a few questions regarding the drive between Vancouver and Calgary which I am hoping to get some help on:

1. What is the safest route to Calgary in October? We are not experienced drivers when it comes to mountains or snow. Should we expect snow in early October? We have a medium size front wheel drive sedan.

2. We checked the driving rote on Google maps and it looks like after entering Alberta, Google directs to leave Hwy 1 and take ramp to AB-93 N. I thought we could take hwy 1 till the end which looks like the shorter route than AB-93.

3. Which town you would recommend for night stay?

Thanks in advance

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,881 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, G K!

1. Yes, there could be snow in October, especially in the mountains. Early October is better than late October, though, and late September would be better still. I think all the routes are about the same, but check www.drivebc.com and 511.alberta.ca for road conditions before you go, and of course check the forecast as well. Read up on winter driving techniques too:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

2. Google Maps is routing you up the Hwy 93 because they think that the Hwy 1 is still out at Canmore due to the recent flooding. However, the Hwy 1 route was back in service on Thursday afternoon (June 27). Hopefully Google Maps will update this soon; apparently they do this kind of update & rerouting fairly often elsewhere as a result of road construction.

3. I'd recommend Salmon Arm as a nice stop, but Kamloops and Revelstoke are also good places to break your journey.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 19:19
G K
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

Thanks for your detailed answer Country_Wife. Much Appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

Salmon Arm or Revelstoke. Personally, I like to recommend Revelstoke because that's where the scenery starts to get really good and by pushing that little bit further on day 1, you don't have to drive so far on day 2 and you have more time to get out and enjoy the trip.

G K
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

I totally agree with you Vancouverite67. I would rather drive more on day one than day 2. Thanks for your thoughts..

Canada
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

I drove this route in one go yesterday (Actually left from Langley, and live 50kms east of Calgary) It took me 10 hours total, with only 3 short stops for gas, coffee and the washroom.

Salmon Arm or Revelstoke are your best bet for a nights stay. After Revelstoke it is driving that requires a great deal of concentration - lots of mountains, passing lanes rather than 4 lanes all the way and distracting scenery.

Gas was cheapest in Kamloops ($1.48 in Vancouver, $1.30 in Kamloops)

G K
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

We were thinking of gas stops as I read in one of the forums that gas stations are not that easy to find on the route so always fill your tank up wherever you see a gas station. Is that true?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

There is no gas on the Coquihalla highway between Hope and Merritt. Also on the Rogers Pass Highway between Revelstoke and Golden. Both of those stretches are about 150kms so not impossible to do if you're nicely topped up.

There is no shortage of gas stations though - Hope, Merritt, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, Golden, Canmore - all have a few choices.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

Make sure you have about half a tank when you drive past a gas station. As mentioned above, you can expect to go about two hours without a gas station on some stretches, but you should only need to fuel up twice unless you are towing a big load.

As an added bonus for your stop, Revelstoke is a really cute little town and depending on what time you arrive, there' s several worthwhile things to stop and see there.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 19:18
9. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Calgary in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations