We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants

can anyone recommend some good steakhouses in calgary we will be during stampede and staying downtown at the westin.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants

Hello bennyking,

You literally will be right nextdoor to an excellent, but expensive, steakhouse. It's called Hy's.

At the casual end of the spectrum is a fun restaurant called Buzzard's. It's on 10th Avenue, at the intersection of 1st Street SW, more or less at the base of the Calgary Tower. In addition to steak, it serves chicken wings, pizza and other moderately priced dishes. If any restaurant in Calgary represents "cowboy cuisine," it's Buzzard's.

Another expensive steakhouse in the downtown core is Caesar's. I think I've heard a story to the effect that that restaurant invented a Canadian drink known as a caesar. It's a combination of clamato juice (clam and tomato juice), vodka and worcestershire sauce. If you want to try it without the vodka, you ask for a virgin caesar. I don't know if the connection between the cocktail and the restaurant is an urban legend, but that's the story I've heard. By the way, you don't have to go to Caesar's, the restaurant, to order a caesar, the cocktail. The drink is sold everywhere that alcoholic beverages are sold. Indeed, you can buy clamato juice from a supermarket and mix the drink yourself.

Anyway, back to the topic of steakhouses, another expensive steakhouse is Quincy's, which is located on 7th Avenue in the downtown core.

Two steakhouses that are located on the 8th Avenue Mall / Stephen Avenue Walk are Chicago Chophouse and Saltlik.

But, to be honest, any decent restaurant in Calgary should be able to serve a good steak, even if the restaurant is not billed as a "steakhouse."

For example, since you'll be staying at the Westin, you'll be within easy walking distance of the Eau Claire Market area on the banks of the Bow River. There you will find a moderately priced restaurant called Joey Tomato's, which has an eclectic menu that includes a good steak. If the weather is good, it's nice to sit outside on Joey's patio.

Hope you have a good trip. :-)

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants

I agree with Judy about Buzzard's - best steak anywhere and a fun place to eat. If you want true Cowboy Cuisine, you'll find it here. They even serve prairie oysters (don't recommend you try this unless you're very brave).