We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damaged UK passport to Canada

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Damaged UK passport to Canada

Hello,

My partner has a slightly damaged UK passport, it is more wear and tear then anything as he has been serving in the british army for 9 years. We do not have enough time to even do the one week premium service as next appointmnet isnt til lthe day after we travel.

We wanted to know if he could still get in through the border as his chip is stil lin tact and picture id clearly visible. He also has his birth certificate and British Army ID card even though he just left the army. Wil lthey be able to see his travel history and see it was wear and tear?

wil lthey allow him in?

thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

Hi Paytongoose;

As long as the passport is still "machine readable" there shouldn't be any problems, but as with anything involving Customs, it is always at the Officer's discretion. Bringing the additional ID couldn't hurt.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

I hope he has at least six months left of validity on the passport from the time you plan on leaving Canada....

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

tdsuperstar, while that 6-month rule may be common in some places, I don't believe Canada has any such rule requiring British passport holders to have an expiration of 6 months beyond the date of their intended stay. It does need to be valid for the entire duration of the intended stay. But, always best to consult official channels on matters such as entry requirements.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

DCH_in_Canada, the problem isn't entering Canada, the issue is leaving the UK. Some UK carriers will not allow you to board the aircraft with less than 6 months validity.

Cheers,

Terry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

Well. as you've stated, you don't have time to fix the problem, so it sounds like you are just going to have to take the chance. No one but a customs officer is going to be able to answer your question. I would, as mentioned above, bring any relevant additional ID and I would also be very patient.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

6 months should not be an issue. British Airways (britishairways.com/en-lb/information/passpor…) and Virgin Atlantic (virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…canada-visa.html) both defer to government requirements on passport validity, as they should. And I know Air Canada does because I've seen an agent check against Timatic (a centralized system airlines use to track government entry requirements), which is exactly what they should do.

For a UK citizen visiting Canada, Timatic indicates "Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for the period of intended stay." (staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/)

As for passport damage, that one's a judgement call, but if it's "slightly damaged" and the chip and the machine-readable zone on the biographic page are both still intact, seems like it's unlikely to be an issue especially with further supporting ID available if requested.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

I will say I was guilty of making the assumption that since they do it to us we do it to them....funny how geopolitics works sometimes....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

Thanks for the detailed info regarding the passport validity, Matt. Canada really does make this simple.

My comment came from having two UKers denied boarding on Virgin flying to Cuba because their passports had less than 6 months validity - even though Cuba only asks for one week past your departure date. The check-in agents would not be swayed. The UKers were camera crew and it threw a huge monkey wrench into a film shoot.

That Timatic site is great.

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

Actually TD, in this case the requirements are reciprocal: I've visited the UK as a Canadian citizen with less than 6 months on my passport. (That's when Air Canada looked it up before they boarded me; UK Border didn't even mention it.) The 6 month rule isn't an urban myth -- there are definitely situations where it is required -- but it's quite a bit less common than people think.

Interestingly, Martian, Virgin Atlantic's page on Cuba (virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…cuban-visa.html) does mention 6 months -- so they're guilty of overstating the requirement, but at least they're consistent.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Damaged UK passport to Canada

Holy cow, that's hilarious...

Cheers,

Terry