We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 way car rental

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 way car rental

We are flying into Calgary in August, staying overnight and then heading to Banff. We would like to rent a car in Calgary and take our time driving up to Banff then drop off the rental car prior to starting our 6 day hiking tour. The one way rate is very expensive! Is it worth renting a car or can we get around Calgary and the up to Banff on a bus? Do you recommend a car in Banff?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 way car rental

The drive from Calgary to Banff is only about an hour and a half, I'm not sure how much time you're planning to take.

What do you mean by 6 day hiking tour? Are you going on a guided tour that departs from the Banff townsite and includes transportation from there? Because if it's not that, I can't imagine how you'd get to wherever you're hiking without a car. If it is that, and you really won't need your own transportation once you're in Banff, I would just take a bus or airport shuttle from Calgary to Banff.

Orlando
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 way car rental

we have a few days before we are scheduled to take a guided hiking tour that provides all transportation. I have scheduled one full day in Calgary and two days in Banff prior to the meet time of the hiking tour.

If a car is not necessary in Banff can we get around easily enough in Calgary on public transportation?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 way car rental

Calgary has a very efficient public transit system, consisting of LRT's and buses.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/

The downtown core is easily walkable.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 way car rental

Banff as a town is walkable, but what are you going to do there for several days without a car? I would want a car to explore nearby national park sights etc. Why not take a bus to Banff and then rent a car there, returning it when your tour starts?

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 way car rental

Would suggest you plan to rent your cars in Banff. The following companies offer schedule bus service from the airport to Banff while Greyhound offers service from downtown Calgary. See:

airportshuttleexpress.com/Banff.htm#banff

OR

brewstertransportation.com/book/AddTour.aspx…

OR

www.greyhound.ca

6. Re: 1 way car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 22:35
7. Re: 1 way car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:15