We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Calgary Airport

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Calgary Airport

As a overseas tourist on arrival i wish to buy liquor in the Calgary airport duty free shop is this allowed ? and what would the allowance be per person. thank you Aussie

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

In Calgary you can't access the duty free on arrival since your arriving and there are no shops in baggage claim. Duty free is when your 'leaving' the country not coming in. You need to purchase in Autstralis or in Calgary on departure.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

One day your country will allow this. think how much revenue Canada is loosing by this policy.

In Australia i purchase duty free in the departure terminal and its waiting there for pick up on my return in the arrival terminal. so now i will give my businesses to the USA Sorry. again what allowance for liquor into Calgary thank you Aussie

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

The info is here:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.ht…

I'm quite sure we're not "loosing" much ... or perhaps you meant losing.... and I'm sure the USA will appreciate your "businesses".

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

Canadas duty free is quite common with most around the world...plus with Calgarys airport doubling in size in a few years, we are FAR from losing money.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

Actually, Canada isn't losing money, if you are wanting to buy duty-free booze to consume while you are here, because if you buy it here in a regular shop instead, you'll be paying full duty and taxes on it. That's the whole point of "duty free" - since you are buying it to take it out of the country, you don't have to pay the Canadian import duties and taxes.

If you are transiting through the US and have a chance to buy duty-free there, I would recommend doing so. Prices are much lower in the US than in Canada! Just be very careful about the quantity you buy, to ensure you remain under the limit that you are permitted to bring in. If you are staying in the US before coming to Canada, it may be even cheaper to buy at a regular shop there than at an airport duty-free shop.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

Its no all about liquor. cameras perfume the list is bigger than Ben Hur admit it guys Canadian shops in airports are the loser.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

Really??? Funny how every time I'm in the duty free shop on my way somewhere, the shop is always full of folks buying things on their way out of the country.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

Why lug it with you on your holidays when you could pick it up on the way home

9. Re: Duty Free Calgary Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 06:18