We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler at the stampede?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Toddler at the stampede?

We land on July 12th and since the 13th is the final day was thinking of going to the stampede to see what it's all about...

Will be with my wife and 2 year old son..

Are there things to do there for little ones at all? Rodeos still going on the last day to watch?

Sorry if these are stupid questions , totally ignorant about the stampede but excited to get to experience a day of it at the same time!!

Thanks to any and all who respond!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

Also is the 13th last day of the stampede something I need to buy tickets in advance for or you can just show up and buy them there etc?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

Lots of things for little ones at the Stampede. The full program for the Stampede's events for each day should be online in a few weeks; they also have a great free app for Apple devices that you can download and use to see the full program of events, with filters for different kinds of things to see & do:

http://cs.calgarystampede.com/planner.html

Staples every year: free live shows for kids at various stages around the grounds (Splash & Boots, the Heebee Jeebees are two perennial favorites, but there are many more); kids' midway; Buckaroos kids' hands-on activity area; Weadickville area with budget-friendly food options and free family entertainment; Ag-tivity in the City agriculture area with petting opportunities, hands-on agriculture education and lots of handwashing stations; and lots more. Don't skip the Western Oasis area with the art show, as they also have living statues, which the kids love! (And the statues really enjoy interacting with kids too.) The Western Oasis is also one of the coolest areas on the grounds when the day gets really hot, and it's a great place to find a washroom when there are queues elsewhere. However, the reason for that is because it's in the far corner of the BMO Center, so it's a bit of a hike to get there.

The last day of Stampede is also the championship round for rodeo competitions and chuckwagon races, so it may be hard to get tickets by now.

You can buy general admission tickets on the grounds, but if you have rodeo or evening show tickets your admission is covered and you can go through an express entrance line. In recent years, there has been a bit of a wait at the main entrance plaza (next to the Victoria/Stampede tram station). This year, I think I will try the entrance at Erlton/Stampede station, at the south end of the Stampede grounds, which is closer to the Indian Village (also very kid-friendly) and is perhaps less busy.

You can also go early, to avoid the rush; the ticket sellers start at 9 a.m., but most of the stuff on the grounds doesn't start until 11:00 a.m.

Mac's convenience stores have a deal where you save on adult admission, it might also help get you onto the grounds more quickly by using the ticket-holders line:

…calgarystampede.com/info/…value-deals.html

As soon as you enter the grounds, you should see the Lost Kids kiosks. Make sure to get a free tag for your child and then if your child becomes separated from you, there is a well-honed procedure for reuniting you. If I recall correctly, you write your cell phone number on the tag, which is attached to your child's wrist, and the Stampede volunteers phone you. Lost kids are taken to the Lost Kids trailer until they are reunited with their families.

For more about the Stampede, have a look at this TripAdvisor Traveller Article on the Stampede for first-time visitors:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

So tickets for the actual rodeo itself might be sold out by now but we can definitely get tickets day of to enter the grounds and hang out? Am I reading your post correctly? Thank you very much for all of your time and that detailed info! Just want to make sure I read it right :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

Yup…just show up and pay your entrance fee. If you swing by a Macs or other stores, they sell discounted tickets. It will be busy…if sunny, over 250,000+ people may pass through the gates!

Ahh, sorry country wife…just saw you already mentioned Macs.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

Awesome thank you!!!

6. Re: Toddler at the stampede?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:16