We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Hello I need information about where I can see the Aurora borealis near Edmonton and all the information related.

I will be in Edmonton from September 7 to 11.

Again Thank you all.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Far be it for me to profess to be an expert on this, but from my reading of the Alaska forum you might be lucky to see it from central to northern Alaska, so maybe the answer might be in the Northwest Territories or Yukon from Edmonton.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

A little bit of searching led me to this site which which backs up my previous post.

…alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/aurora.html

You will need to go a lot further than Edmonton.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,108 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Hi;

The Northern Lights (aurora borealis) are an atmospheric phenomenon, and very hard to predict. Research has shown that the auroral activity is cyclic, and peaks about every 11 years. The next peak period is 2013.

While a more northern location will be of some help in seeing them, there is never any guarantee. Areas that are not subject to “light pollution” are the best.

The most often times to see the Aurora is from September to October and from March to April. Usually the best time of night (on clear nights) is midnight local time.

For more information;

http://www.northernlightscentre.ca/

Best Regards

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Excellent links thank you very much for your help

:D

Calgary
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

I saw THE BEST northern lights show of my life while living in a small town only about 25 km outside of Edmonton. ( New Sarepta ) I've also seen them as far south as Nanton, but the ones outside of Redmonton beat anything I've seen in Rainbow lake , Anzac, etc... Maybe just a pure luck thing... who knows.

Good luck.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Thank you for taking the time to post in this thread.

:D

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

When they occur, I can see the Northern Lights from my back deck & I live in the city although close to the outskirts. Best bet is to get out of the city to the north or east (I say east because that's the direction I often see them in) and of course the further north you go the better. It's a pretty hit & miss thing with no real way to predict when they will occur. I wouldn't say seeing them is rare but it certainly isn't a nightly or regular happening.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Due to the great responses above, I apologise for my first reply to your question. This certainly shows that I should limit myself to actual knowledge, and not an assumed situation.

(Insert red face here)

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Elk Island National Park is located about 45 minutes east of Edmonton on highway 16. It has been designated a dark sky preserve, meaning that measures have been taken to minimize the light pollution within the park. It would be the best location near Edmonton to try and catch the northen lights (although, as previous posters have said they are highly unpredictable).

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aurora Borealis Near Edmonton.

Thank you everyone for an excellent info...

I will be in Edmonton from September 7 to 11...

I am crossing my fingers maybe I will have luck and have the opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis in Edmonton.

If anyone have info about the Lights on that dates please let me know.

Thanks.