We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

This is probably a strange question, but I'm trying to find flights that are not too onerous for my daughter and son-in-law from Edmonton to Florida in the spring, but can't seem to find anything that doesn't take 12 hours or require an overnight in Toronto. Does anyone know of any charter or other airlines that fly that route?

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

alternately . . . where to take them in the spring that's warm that they can get to relatively comfortably from Edmonton?

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Try searching on Expedia. You didn't specify where in Florida or when in the spring, so I just searched Edmoton to Orlando at the end of March and found flights on United and Air Canada in the 7 hour range (changing planes in Chicago or Denver).

Los Angeles or Phoenix would be the warm weather destinations that are easiest to get to from Edmonton. There are also direct flights to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cancun. Hawaii is another popular warm weather destination, but I don't think there are any direct flights there from Edmonton any more.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Unfortunately, no matter how you slice it, getting to Florida from Edmonton means a long day (been there, done that) and is generally a pain:

You could try the following combinations:

Northwest - nonstop to Minneapolis, then to Florida

United - nonstop to Chicago or Denver, then Florida

Delta - nonstop to Salt Lake City, then Florida

But with layovers, I'd be surprised if you could do any of the above in under 10 total hours...

Other warm place alternatives that are easy to get to from Edmonton (usually one direct ~3hr flight) are Phoenix, Vegas, California, Mexico... lots of direct flight choices from Edm to the southwest...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Oh - and Cuba is a direct 6 hour flight from Edmonton on one of the charters. Steer clear of Skyservice though if you want to fly comfortably!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Hi Shelley55,

My girlfriends and I used to chat about this all the time... while we in the East were taking our kids to Disney in Florida, they took theirs to Disney California. While the guys here took golf holidays in Myrtle Beach they did likewise in Arizona. When we went to the beach it was Florida or the Caribbean, for them California or Hawaii. The only thing we ever did agree on was there was only one LAS VEGAS.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... So I agree the flights from West to East Destinations or vice versa are the pitts (except for LV which has a lot of direct flights no matter where you live).

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Thanks so much for all the great replies. California might be the answer -- they've got a year old daughter (so Vegas is out) and I'm trying to make the trip as smooth as possible for them -- it's a pain, but we can handle a long trip easier than they can. Thanks again!

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

I would agree with Chuckleberry about the direct flights to Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan - Westjet offers good deals on each. There is also a weekly flight to Cabo in Mexico too.

Unfortunately, most affordable destinations from Edmonton will be on the south or Pacific side of the USA. This is the main reason I like Mexico, along with the fact that the locals there are quite friendly.

Edmonton
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

Shelly,

Myself and my family are transplanted Floridians living now in Edmonton. We travel back and forth constantly and in our experience the best route is to try the West Jet site directly. They fly constantly either out of Edmonton or Calgary but occasionally stop service. They are the best priced and fly directly in Fort Lauderdale which as you probably know is very close to Miami, it's also a much nice airport than Miami.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
44 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

I took a trip a few weeks ago to Florida from Edmonton, and one of the best options I found was a red-eye from YEG, but it was the right price. Here it goes: YEG-YYZ AC158 (00:25-06:09), then YYZ-FLL AC938 (7:20-10:35). I just checked Air Canada and it's still there in March. After taking out time zone changes, it's just over 8 hours. The only other drawback is that there's no duty free opportunity in YYZ since the connection is 1h11min (but FLA is cheaper than duty free anyway).

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edmonton experts -- Edmonton to Florida?

YEGcg; just out of curiosity ... how much was the flight?

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton
Recent Conversations