We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Hello all

I will be in Edmonton for 2 days in December before i head off to Jasper so i am looking for advice/suggestion on things to do

Is there any observation tower/deck in Edmonton?

I have read that there was one but it closed down "Vista 33"

I arrive on the 15th of December around lunch time and i depart for Jasper on the 16th around 4pm

So far i was thinking:

- Visit old strathcona

- Visit Alberta legislature

- Go to the observation deck if you have one

- Walk somewhere where i can take pictures of edmonton skyline (where could i go?)

- Briefly walk around edmonton mall before i catch my bus to jasper

What do you think? any other suggestions?

Also can you recommend the best pizza place, best burger joint, best coffee and cake place in Edmonton?

Thanks!

canada/australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Hi,

There isnt an observation tower unfortunatly. Just remember it can be VERY cold in december (I flew into there Dec 16 last year and it was -30) so walking around outdoorsy places can be a bit unenjoyable if its freezing! However the snow is gorgeous. Try the river valley for great shots of the city and the river.

I would have some back up things to do indoors if it happens to be -40 haha.

West Edmonton Mall has a lot of things to check out so it can definitly be a day trip if necessary. As well the best shops and food are located along Whyte Ave in Old Strathcona!

Have an amazing time in Jasper. Its lovely!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

What sorts of activities interest you, italmelb? Being outdoors may be acceptable on December 15, but if it is windy, you may not wish to venture outdoors much.

Old Strathcona is really primarily a retail and restaurant district. If you are staying in the area, it may be interesting, or if you wish to shop. If you tell us your interests, I may be able to direct you to the right types of shops.

A good view of the city can be seen from many spots, but the walking area just off the High Level Bridge, or even on the bridge, is very nice. Walking at the legislature is also nice.

The Oilers have a home game on December 15. That may be something different, if you like sports. Here is a link -

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

I just saw your request for best pizza/burger/coffee. Where are you staying? In what part of the city (or what hotel)?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Hey all

thanks for your responses so far. I will be staying at the GO Backpackers Hostel downtown. Oh don't worry about the weather, i was in Yellowknife last december when it was -42 C and i was out and about as if that was the most natural thing. I just love winter and the snow, so as far as i am concerned the colder - the better :)

In terms of interests, i love taking photos of cities so i guess that will be my primary interest. This high level bridge you mentioned, where is it located and how can i get there? Will the river be frozen by mid December so that i can walk on it?

In terms of shops i like numismatics as i collect notes, but overall i am fairly easy going and i like to look at pretty much anything nice/interesting

Oh before i forget, where can i buy a pepper spray in Edmonton? i need to buy a bottle to take with me to Jasper in case i am mauled by a cougar

and finally, considering that up until a few years ago edmonton was considered the murder capital of Canada, how are things now? is it better?

i imagine people don't commit many crimes in December as it's too cold?

Thanks!

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

italmeb; the high level bridge is to the immediate west of the legislature buildings. You should be able to see it if you walk the legislature grounds and look west along the river valley.

Can't answer your question regarding coin/note collecting shops, i..e numismatics, though there might be one in West Ed' mall.

As for pepper spray, not sure you will need it in Jasper for cougar defense. Have you researched pepper spray? Every experienced hiker I know of at work says its' useless, and just irritates the animals, e.g. bears and cougars, more. If you really want to buy some, check out Mountain Equipment Co-op in Edmonton; it is one of Canada's prevalent outfitters.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

A good spot for sky-line pictures would be along Saskatchewan Drive. It runs along the top of the riverbank on the south side of the river between 99 street and 109 street (the high level bridge is on 109 st). Probably not much of a view close to 99 st but it opens up about 103 st to 109 st.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

There is a coin shop in Old Strathcona.

Best pizza, based on your location, is Famoso, 11759 Jasper Avenue.

Burgers - The Hat (right downtown - 10251 Jasper Avenue) or Hudson's - if you are in Old Strathcona, there is one there 10327 82 Avenue.

Coffee - my favourite is Starbucks (all over), but Credo is also good

http://www.credocoffee.ca/

Murders are not generally "random" here. Most are related to drugs, are between people who know each other, or in drug/alcohol fuelled encounters. If you stay out of the bars near closing time, you will have no problems.

Personally, I would not walk alone after 10:00 pm downtown or in Old Strathcona (i.e. off the main streets) as there have been a lot of robberies.

Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Edmonton is pretty cold then so dress warm. You may want to have a bite at the top of the Chateau Lacombe Crowne Plaza downtown on Bellamy Hill road. It is a revolving restaurant. It gets dark early so lunch would give you a better view.

Best pizza is Colliseum Steak and Pizza on 118 Ave near Rexall Place hockey stadium.

Good burgers and stuff at Smokey Joes on Stony Plain road. They smoke and make all their own stuff and it is great.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Chateau Lacombe Crowne Plaza - that is a very good suggestion for a nice place to view the city. However, it doesn't open until 5:30 so by then it is dark. Still an interesting place to stop at if you just want a drink...it's very expensive to eat at.

any where along the river valley will have some great photo opportunities. there are some great walking trails down there.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

I just recalled, per lttt's post #9, that there are lots of good locations for viewing part of the Edmonton river valley. There is no one good location, but many, especially considering many good sidewalks and benches along the city core's north side.