We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

My daughter and her friend are planning a trip to Edmonton to visit the WEM in early Dec. Recommendations welcomed for safe, close and relatively inexpensive place to stay as well as areas that they should avoid.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

Stay at the Fantasy Land Hotel connected to the mall - can't get any closer + no need ever leave.

http://www.fantasylandhotel.com/home/

- claims rooms as low as $69.00.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

Yeah, that's $69 *per person* - plus taxes.

There is also the West Edmonton Mall Inn, right across the street from the mall, although I don't know if it fits their definition of "inexpensive". (I haven't stayed there in awhile, but I'd be surprised if it was much less than $140 per night.... actually, in Edmonton, even mid-range chain hotels tend to be ~$130 and up per night, and these two, being the only two right at the mall tend to charge a premium for that location.)

Most of the other hotels "close" to the mall are grouped together, around 100th Ave/Stony Plain Rd. and 178th St - a couple of miles from the mall. I have stayed at several of them in that area, and the newer ones tend to be $130+ (with CAA discount).

Does your daughter have a credit card? Might be hard to make a reservation at a hotel without one. Even if you make the reservation and guarantee it to your credit card, a hotel generally wants an imprint upon check-in.

There is a HI hostel in the Old Strathcona area of Edmonton. That is not very close to the mall but it is in an area where there is lots of nightlife (legal age in Alberta is 18, not 19 like in BC) and at a hostel, they would meet other young travellers. Dorm rates are generally around $30 per person per night, and some hostels have private rooms that are quite reasonably priced - $60 - $80. If they don't have a car, they could take Edmonton Transit to the mall. She could also check for SameSun or other hostels.

I checked www.hotwire.com - they are showing two west Edm. area hotels, at $99 and $89 (in USD) - I doubt that you will find better rates anywhere else for that area. If you have not used hotwire before, it is a way hotels sell off excess capacity, so it can be good deals - however, it is prepaid when you book (and then you find out exactly which property it is) and it is completely NON-refundable. You can find out a lot more at www.betterbidding.com - they can sometimes help you ID the hotels that are listed on hotwire.

Mentioned in this post
West Edmonton Mall Inn
West Edmonton Mall Inn
295 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

I was going to recommend the Fantasy Land Hotel as it is attached to the mall. However, I am unaware of pricing.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

I stayed at a best western near by and it was pretty good. I would also recommend trying priceline or hotwire for the area to get a cheaper price if needed.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

There's no shortage of skeeviness at any time around the mall, but not so much that I'd worry about it with a couple of 18 year olds. The big issue is whether or not they're renting a car. That opens up a number of hotel options around WEM, some of which are quite affordable. I'd recommend checking out TA's ratings and doing some price shopping. There's not a tremendous amount of nightlife around the west end, but there is enough for them not to be bored.

If they don't have a car, the West Edmonton Mall Inn across the street is a good option. You won't pay the high prices of the Fantasyland Hotel, but the access is just as good. There's a strip of restaurants called Bourbon Street right in the mall which gives a lot of dining options, so if they're coming just for the shopping they could basically spend the whole weekend at the mall.

There are a couple nightclubs at the mall that I'd stay away from, but I'm also too old to go to nightclubs. There's also a live music venue (Edmonton Events Centre) that sometimes has good concerts.

Overall, west Edmonton is pretty safe and they should have no problems.

Mentioned in this post
West Edmonton Mall Inn
West Edmonton Mall Inn
295 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: safe places for 18 yr old to stay while visiting WEM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton