We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need to find the place to live

Europe
3 posts
Save Topic
I need to find the place to live

I am planning to move in to Edmonton next year, could somebody tell me where I could rent a flat, what is the level of the prices, recomended areas for living etc...

(any real estates websites suggestions?), all responds are welcome:-]

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need to find the place to live

Fredik

Although geared toward mostly toward purchase, have a look www.mls.ca

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need to find the place to live

Fredik, you also could have a look at:

http://www.rentfaster.ca/

Europe
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need to find the place to live

thank you very much for your advices...I am sure that i will find something:-)

Birmingham,UK
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need to find the place to live

Fredik

I'm off to Edmonton next year for a year too. I am therefore interested to hear how you get on with your research or even joining forces. Let me know.

raventreg@yahoo.co.uk

Calgary
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need to find the place to live

I live in Calgary, but frequent Edmonton for business from time to time. I have friends that live in or near the neighbourhood of Old Strathcona, and they quite like it (the University is close by). The neighbourhood has a lot of apartment buildings. It does depend on what type of Lifestyle you are looking for though. The focus of this neighbourhood is Whyte Avenue, which is a trendy little pocket of shopping, restaurants, coffee shops and bars. This makes for a vibrant neighbourhood with lots to do just by walking out your front door. But, it also has a price. It has a very active bar scene at night and that brings problems if you are looking for a quiet peaceful place to live (parking issues, bar fights, vandalism, higher noise volumes, there was a riot in 2001). Hopefully someone else here can suggest alternative neighbourhoods if you are looking for something a bit more quiet. Best of luck with your research, I've provided you some links below that will give you more information, some of them cover the riot if that concerns you.

http://www.oldstrathcona.ca/

…foundlocally.com/Home/Neigh-OldStrathconaGa…

doorsopenalberta.com/alberta_architecture/ar…

http://www.answers.com/topic/old-strathcona

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need to find the place to live

Old Strathcona is my favorite part of Edmonton!

Europe
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I need to find the place to live

Thank you very much AB-Girl and Camping Girl, I am very glad that so many people want to help, that means that the Canadians are very friendly. I ll go through all the links you posted... Thanks again.

Raventreg - what is your location at the moment, i ll be in London during weekend soon, maybe it will be possible to meet:-)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need to find the place to live

I have some loft in DT edmonton, right on Jasper ave with an LRT entrance (our version of undeerground subway) right underneath the building. In fact i have one penthouse suite with floor-to-ceiling windows going for $875/mo. the building is connected via pedway to all the downtown shopping, restaurants and arts scence.

respond back and i will send you my email address.

Windsor, Ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I need to find the place to live

We too were considering moving to edmonton, And would like to know how living expenses and other considerations would affect our choice... What are housing costs like, Prices for meat and fresh vegetables, Retail costs (electronics, furnature)and such things. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need to find the place to live

housing is still relaively cheap compared to the rest of the country. cost of living is better than rest of the country considering we dn't have a provincial tax.