We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwood Inn

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Greenwood Inn

Hello,

I am looking for a hotel for an overnight stay in Edmonton on our way home to Winnipeg from a vacation in May. My sister in law can get us a really good deal at the Greenwood Inn as she works at another location, how is the hotel? The reviews in the hotel section don't seem very favourable. Thanks so much

Sam

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwood Inn

I've stayed there several times, although never posted a review. It's been fine - a typical mid-level chain hotel stay. We've had some rooms that were nicer than others (some have king size bed and steam showers). Both street side and the track side have noise issues but we find that running the fan or a/c muffles that. (But we live where there is very little noise at night so going to the city always seems noisy to us.)

It's well located for a stopover in the city (Gateway Blvd, just off the Whitemud Fwy) or for us, going into the city for shopping and errands. The area it's in is not particularly pedestrian-friendly (on some blocks, there are no sidewalks), but if you are willing to walk even ten minutes, there are several restaurants you can walk to from the hotel. (We like to walk to restaurants so we can have a pint or some wine.) There are two restaurants in the hotel - we tried the ABC chain once, when arriving late and starved - and it was even worse than we thought it would be. Have never tried the Dalton's - it looks kind of boring, typical hotel restaurant. There are BP's and Moxy's and others nearby - and I do want to try out the Greek taverna that is right across the street sometime.

Had a look at your profile - I see you are in the 18 - 24 age group...my kid's ages, lol, so, I can't say what the nightlife is like around there but I'm sure your sister-in-law can advise.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwood Inn

It's definitely not pedestrian friendly, and it's been quite a while since I've been there, but I'd agree with the mid level assessment. Noise may be an issue, but I don't know that you'd have any other problems.

I don't know where you're coming from, but it's not really close to the Yellowhead, although it wouldn't be hard to get to (many major arteries are close) and I can't recommend any hotels on the north side near the Yellowhead. And if you're getting a good deal....

I can definitely recommend the Kotouki Taverna across the street. That's the local franchise that was featured on the TV show "The Family Restaurant" for a couple years. It's not cheap, but it's VERY good if you like Greek food.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwood Inn

Well, looks like you already have the "thumbs up" from other visitors. I know where it is located, but have never stayed there. It is, as krp329 mentions, near a major highway intersection, i.e. Gateway Trail and Whitemud, and is prone to noise. Be prepared for rail traffic if you get a room on that side of the hotel.

The place is also close to quite a few restaurants, and convenient for getting around by car. If you plan on shopping in the South Common area, you won't be that far away.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenwood Inn

thanks for the help! we'll be flying in from puerto vallarta, and have quite a long layover, so we're looking for a cheap place to stay over night. sounds like this will work for us. thanks again.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwood Inn

Railroad noise shouldn't be too bad. The tracks end just a little farther north at a yard, so the trains will be going slowly. (But sometimes, accelerating...)

I don't often see trains there.

6. Re: Greenwood Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton