We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

I am traveling to Cuba at the end of November and am flying out of Cuba. Since my flight leaves at 8:30 AM and I live in Lloydminster, it is a better idea to stay the night before in Edmonton as opposed to leaving here at 3:30/4:00 AM.

Obviously, I've been to Edmonton many times, so I have an idea where to stay in the city. However, I've never flown out of EIA before. Thus, I have no idea what hotels are out by the airport.

What makes more sense staying out at the Airport or staying in one of the hotels on Gateway Boulevard/Calgary Trail and driving to the airport. Obviously, at that hour of the morning traffic probably isn't an issue.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

No idea, but I'd suggest a hotel close to the airport that offers two services: Free shuttle to the airport and free (or at least cheap) parking for your vehicle.

Good luck and have a gas in Cuba.

Cheers,

Terry

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

Yeah. I had thought to simply park at the longterm lot at EIA. Since it is likely I will probably go to WEM. It might be better to stay in town and then drive out to the airport.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

We have stayed at a number of the hotels and motels in Nisku and Leduc, and most of them have been just fine, but not memorable in any way, just a standard overnight stay in chain hotel. We've stayed many times at the Quality Inn in Nisku; the Holiday Inn Express is newer and a bit more expensive.

One advantage to booking a hotel in Nisku or Leduc is that many of them offer free long-term parking, usually up to one week with each single night's stay (thus is you are staying there on either end of your vacation, you can get up to two week's parking for free), or if you only need the one night stay, you can usually pay for any additional parking you need at a nominal rate ($5/day?) We have found this to be quite a savings over the Park & Fly. Have never used long-term parking at the airport, so am not sure of the costs involved with that.

We also have stayed at many of the hotels on the south side of the city (that's our preferred area to stay when we go to Edmonton, which, living in Jasper, we do several times a year), and again, most of the hotels there are ok, the standard chain hotel experience. We used to prefer the Greenwood, as they have some rooms with steam showers and king beds, however, the bathroom fittings in some of their rooms are getting pretty yucky (specifically, they have those one piece acrylic bathroom counter/ sink units, and many of them are cracked & stained around the drain); I have always liked the south-side Ramada and the rates there are usually a bit cheaper than the other hotels in the area (the rooms are fairly newly renovated and they have free wifi, so the cheaper rates are not because it's lacking in quality or amenities), but they were doing some fairly major construction last time we stopped in (last spring) and the rates did not reflect this, so we wound up at the Greenwood (total cost was $153, incl. taxes, for a deluxe room as described above).

I have also used hotwire.com for the south end of the city, and got a stay last fall at the Super 8 for just under $100. (Be aware, though, when using that site, that rates are in USD.)

The one disadvantage to staying on the south side with an early flight is that you need to allow the extra half hour to drive to the airport - with an 8:30 international flight, you are probably supposed to check in at 6:30, which would mean leaving the hotel no later than 6:00. If you like early mornings, then that won't be a problem for you but I am not a morning person and prefer to use that half hour for sleeping. ;)

Edited: 18 September 2010, 23:14
Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

Well a half hour drive is better than my original thought of get up at 3:30/4 AM and drive from Lloyd.

Since it will be winter, do those hotels allow you to stay parked there and plug in? Since I'm going to Cuba, I am hoping for -40 the whole week I am gone. Hence, I will need to plug my vehicle in. I know longterm parking at EIA has plug ins. What about security? As a rule there is nothing of major value in my vehicle, but I would prefer it to be watched over.

Since I have never actually been to EIA, are there hotels actually right on the airport property? One the way back I am flying through Toronto and am overnighting at a hotel directly across the street from Pearson. Is there anything like that at EIA or do they all involve a little bit of driving?

If I were going to stay in the Southend I'd probably stay at the Radisson Edmonton South. I have stayed there for work in the past and enjoyed it. I've stayed at the Greenwood and didn't enjoy the trains nor trying to get across Gateway during morning rush to get over to Calgary Trail.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

There are no hotels right on the EIA property - at present or are planned in future development. I was just checking the 2010 building plan as there is an ongoing construction development right now.

There are a number of close hotels on the east side of the Airport Road exchange, i.e. opposite direction to the airport, that are close. But none directly on the EIA property, like there is at Pearson. FYI: I have also gotten better deals on offsite hotels adjacent to Pearson than staying directly onsite at Pearson.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

I understand what you are saying about the train tracks by the Greenwood Inn. I too have stayed thered and found the trains to be bothersome as well.

How about staying in Nisku? The Nisku Inn isn't too bad and not that far from the airport.

By the way you will love Cuba, it is a beautiful country and the Cuban people are very hospitable.

I was married there on the beach in the south part of the islang(Guardalavca) almost 11 years ago, and my Mom loved it so much she married a Cuban and moved down there! Have a great trip. :)

Edited: 22 September 2010, 18:29
Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

So I settled on the Best Western Denham Inn & Suites in Leduc. Anyone ever stay there?

Also, coincidently it happens to be Grey Cup weekend when I am there. Am I crazy thinking I'd get from Leduc to Century Park LRT station and to Churchill Square by 7, if I leave Leduc at 6:30?

Apparently, Huddle Town shuts down at 8, so I figure if I give myself an hour that would be plenty. After that, I will go to the makeshift Boston Pizza there that is open until 11.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

Yep, you're crazy. But I think there's a lot of craziness Grey Cup weekend :) It'll take you 20 minutes to get from the Denham Inn to Century Park, probably 30 by the time you park and get on the train. I'm no expert on the LRT, but I think it takes about 20 minutes to get to Churchill from Century Park.

Definitely the way to do it, though, since you'll board the train first and get a seat for the whole trip.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

I need to correct my Post #5. Apparently, I just found out recently that Marriot is building a new hotel adjacent to the EIA on the property. WestJet has lost their staff parking because of it. That is another reason why WestJet staff are also now parking at the new JetSet Parking lot.

However, Marriot probably won't finish construction on the new airport hotel until later in 2011 or early 2012.

10. Re: Decent Hotel Near The Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 07:32