We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little advise from those out there....

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
A little advise from those out there....

Hi, was wondering if you could help me... or atleast give me a point in the right direction.

My "hubby" and I are married through the military (about a month before he left for overseas) but it is not recognized through the civilian courts as a marriage. To them we are still common law. I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to a good location in alberta or the 2 surrounding provinces where we could run away for the weekend and come back "Legal"? Would love to get this set up soon as he comes back and I want it as a surprise for him.

thanks.

Lost & Confused

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little advise from those out there....

You may find this article on weddings in Banff helpful - even if you don't think you will get married in Banff, there is some information and links which apply to all Alberta weddings and marriages:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c71971/Banff-…

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little advise from those out there....

My bf and I stayed at a ranch in the Cypress Hills which was fantastic, and the scenery was amazing.

I would also recommend Jasper or Banff. Even somewhere on the Island as well.

When were you planning on getting married? This might affect the location.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little advise from those out there....

If you are talking about a weekend in the near future you could have a ceremony at Lake Louise, chilly, but very beautiful. The first snow fall just happened. This is one of my favorite times of year there. The mountain tops and trees are white with the snow, but the lake is not frozen yet. It creates a very pretty scene.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little advise from those out there....

Let me start with this.... if you are married in any jurisdiction by a valid marriage commissioner, judge, justice of the peace etc etc, your marriage is valid here in Canada. If the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, you would need to get it translated and certified in order to change your name to his, but it is valid and subsisting if it was carried out by a proper practitioner. If you have questions about this, feel free to private message me.

Now, as far as getting married (Assuming that it was simply a civil ceremony opposed to a legal one) the one piece of advice that you need to remember is that you will require a marriage licence in the jurisdiction that you are getting married in. So if you stay in Alberta, you will have to obtain an Alberta Marriage Licence thru a Registry. If you google Registry Edmonton, you will find a listing of all of them in the city,

If you get married in another province, you will have to obtain the licence from that province first. Each province has different rules for obtaining this licence, so research it first.

As far as desitnations go, it would depend on what you want. If you want scenic, hit Banff or Canmore. If you want a city, why not drive to Calgary, find a marriage commissioner and stay at a high end hotel for the weekend and lounge in a penthouse suite?

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little advise from those out there....

You are likely best calling around to various cities / towns in the list / link provided by Country _Wife.

6. Re: A little advise from those out there....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton